Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have prime cards ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I have prime cards ?

@chalupaman wrote:

You defintitely do! That's the first thing I saw when I saw you got a CSP. Congratulations! Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy thank you~!

Message 11 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

You defintitely do! That's the first thing I saw when I saw you got a CSP. Congratulations! Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy thank you~!

But to answer the question in general:   there is no really good definition of prime card.  A good guess would be "a card from a prime lender" but many/most issuers lend to both prime and subprime clients.    There is more general agreement about was ISN'T prime, e.g. First Premier, Credit One.   Any card that charges a monthly fee, has a very high APR and a very low CL isn't prime.

But, for example, you can get a Chase Freedom (at a high APR and a low CL) with pretty low scores, or one with a low APR and high CL with high scores.  Is Chase Freedom prime?   Most would say Yes, but if it  has a $500 CL and a 25% APR, maybe not so clear!

And Capital One comes in for the most, some of their cards are certainly giving to rebuilders, non-prime borrowers.  Some of their other cards require much better scores.  Others, like the Chase Freedom, can be issued to both low and high scores.

So, IMO, if you even want to worry about prime/non-prime, it's not the bank or even the card, it's the terms of the card!

Message 12 of 23
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seeing the term being used frequently here in the forum. Do I have any prime cards ? 

Boa cash rewards 

macys 

discover it 

chase sapphire preferred 

chase freedom

what. Are other prime cards ? 

Other then the Macy's yeah imo 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 13 of 23
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Smiley Happy thank you~!

But to answer the question in general:   there is no really good definition of prime card.  A good guess would be "a card from a prime lender" but many/most issuers lend to both prime and subprime clients.    There is more general agreement about was ISN'T prime, e.g. First Premier, Credit One.   Any card that charges a monthly fee, has a very high APR and a very low CL isn't prime.

But, for example, you can get a Chase Freedom (at a high APR and a low CL) with pretty low scores, or one with a low APR and high CL with high scores.  Is Chase Freedom prime?   Most would say Yes, but if it  has a $500 CL and a 25% APR, maybe not so clear!

And Capital One comes in for the most, some of their cards are certainly giving to rebuilders, non-prime borrowers.  Some of their other cards require much better scores.  Others, like the Chase Freedom, can be issued to both low and high scores.

So, IMO, if you even want to worry about prime/non-prime, it's not the bank or even the card, it's the terms of the card!

Eh 

I view as Cap 1 Sub prime trying to act like Prime  sometimes 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 14 of 23
chalupaman
Super Contributor

CapOne hasn't been too bad for me in all honesty. Sure the customer service itself isn't top notch like what Amex and Discover have but they were generous enough to upgrade my college card after a couple of months so who knows what they might do for me next month when my sixth statement generates. And the 1.5% cashback on everything is also quite nice.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 15 of 23
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

I agree. 4 of your 5 listed cards can be considered prime with the right terms. Looks like you should cultivate these cards over time and get some "prime" CL's.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Smiley Happy thank you~!

Eh 

I view as Cap 1 Sub prime trying to act like Prime  sometimes 

Specially with the quicksilver! 

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tmbr10 wrote:

I agree. 4 of your 5 listed cards can be considered prime with the right terms. Looks like you should cultivate these cards over time and get some "prime" CL's.

thats would be my next goal! 

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Smiley Happy thank you~!

Good points im starting to see imo that to be prime if its a big lender... i was basing my prime cards with credit score approvals... but i saw some great cards that dont need that monster of a credit score.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know if they're prime...   deep down inside lol.  

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.