Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need Costco Amex?

tag
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Do I need Costco Amex?

Do I need Costco Amex if I have Amex Blue?

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I need Costco Amex?

Who have both of those?   Any benefit of having the both cards?

Message 2 of 13
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

You have the Amex Blue Cash, not the points-earning Blue, correct?

The Costco Amex pays 2% back on travel. It currently pays 3% at restaurants, but this is going to drop to 2% soon. However, if you get a Costco Amex right now, you'll get the 3% for 12 billing cycles. New cards issued after July 31 ( I think) will only get 2%.

No annual fee. So, there's minimal downside - except, of course, the effects that the new account would have on FICO. But it would get you closer to $500,000 in CL! Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 13
wmarat
Valued Contributor

No, I have Blue Preferred.

To get 500000 in CL's would be nice, but I start closing useless accounts, so I gonna go down to 250000.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 4 of 13
veracious
Established Contributor

@wmarat wrote:

To get 500000 in CL's would be nice, but I start closing useless accounts, so I gonna go down to 250000.

Hi, wmarat.

You already have an AMEX card so,  you have  the only card that Costco accepts, unless of course you use a debit card instead.

I can appreciate the achievement you have reached by having such a high available credit, but I'm sure you realize more than others

that        "Credit  means nothing if you don't need it ."

wmarat
Valued Contributor

@veracious wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

Hi, wmarat.

You already have an AMEX card so,  you have  the only card that Costco accepts, unless of course you use a debit card instead.

I can appreciate the achievement you have reached by having such a high available credit, but I'm sure you realize more than others

that        "Credit  means nothing if you don't need it ."

Thanks.

I do have AmEx Blue and AmEx's from BOA, USAA and Macy's. 2% on travel and 2-3% on restaurants are not attractive.

Credit indeed means nothing when you don't need it, but available credit means a lot when you need it.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 6 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Now that I have the Blue Cash Preferred, my Costco card has definitely lost its luster. I don't know if I'll keep it when my membership is due for renewal.

I know that many people don't like paying fees (understandably), but if you have kids --or big grocery bills for any reason --the BCP is a heckuva lot better deal than Costco.

6% cash back on groceries

3% cash back on gas (and you can use it for Costco gas)

3% cash back at department stores

1% elsewhere

If you spend $500 at supermarkets each month, that's $30 every month, so that takes care of the $50 fee pretty quickly.

I don't eat at restaurants that often. I'd rather cook up a storm at home. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 13
BluMoon
New Contributor

Lel,

Where did you get your info about the Costco Amex dropping to 2 percent for restaurants after July?  I went to the Costco Amex site and it still states 3% with no disclaimers.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Now that I have the Blue Cash Preferred, my Costco card has definitely lost its luster. I don't know if I'll keep it when my membership is due for renewal.

I know that many people don't like paying fees (understandably), but if you have kids --or big grocery bills for any reason --the BCP is a heckuva lot better deal than Costco.

6% cash back on groceries

3% cash back on gas (and you can use it for Costco gas)

3% cash back at department stores

1% elsewhere

If you spend $500 at supermarkets each month, that's $30 every month, so that takes care of the $50 fee pretty quickly.

I don't eat at restaurants that often. I'd rather cook up a storm at home. Smiley Happy

+1

I don't think my True Earnings card is going to see nearly as much action as it's been used to, save for at Costco, and I might relegate it to my "travel" card for the 2%. I'm still spending enough at Costco (thanks to my two in diapers, and a few large charitable purchases each year) to win the rewards game with the Executive membership. But, my Blue Cash Preferred has most definitely taken lead in my purse.

6% cashback on groceries even has DH smiling... and he doesn't usually care one iota about this stuff.

Message 9 of 13
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

Hauling,

So the BCP 3% works on Costco Gas? Is that the same for other wholesale gas pumps? (like Sam's Club, BJ's, etc)

If so that would be nice, as my company car I usually fill up at Sam's...

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.