Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I remove myself as AU?

tag
mab463
Established Member

Do I remove myself as AU?

Hi!

So I'm an AU on one of my mom's cards and one of my dad's - both at 80% utilization. It's made my AAOA 18 yrs though.

We are in the process of selling my grandma's apartment in which my mom could pay down her 8k line fully, so that would make just my father's account still high. He would likely pay off some of it but he has around 20,000/27,000.

Is it worth taking myself off as the AU on his account, even though my mom's will soon come down?

I know you all understand this analysis much better than I do. Also, if you do think I should remove myself, please let me know do I just call Chase directly?

[sorry I realized this may be in the wrong forum so moderator please move this if so!]

Thanks!

Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Do I remove myself as AU?

I would, the utilization that high is seriously hurting you. You have cards to garden and grow your credit history. That's my opinion.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 12
H4LO
Established Contributor

@mab463 wrote:

Hi!

So I'm an AU on one of my mom's cards and one of my dad's - both at 80% utilization. It's made my AAOA 18 yrs though.

We are in the process of selling my grandma's apartment in which my mom could pay down her 8k line fully, so that would make just my father's account still high. He would likely pay off some of it but he has around 20,000/27,000.

Is it worth taking myself off as the AU on his account, even though my mom's will soon come down?

I know you all understand this analysis much better than I do. Also, if you do think I should remove myself, please let me know do I just call Chase directly?

[sorry I realized this may be in the wrong forum so moderator please move this if so!]

Thanks!

Your parents have to contact Chase to have them remove you as an AU.

You could just contact the CRA's and have them remove you as you're not the owner of the accounts. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 3 of 12
mab463
Established Member

Thanks for the quick reply. You think it's best to keep my mom's though right? She will never use it again except for small things once it's paid off, and I figured it made sense since I'm gardening ATM to keep that card with the knowledge she will likely pay it off in the next month or two.

Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 4 of 12
mab463
Established Member

@H4LO wrote:

You could just contact the CRA's and have them remove you as you're not the owner of the accounts. 

Is one easier than the other? I feel like contacting Chase may be easier than contacting all of the CRA's. My dad would happily do so.

Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 5 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@mab463 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. You think it's best to keep my mom's though right? She will never use it again except for small things once it's paid off, and I figured it made sense since I'm gardening ATM to keep that card with the knowledge she will likely pay it off in the next month or two.

Yes, so you know some credit card companies don't figure in AU and some do when applying for new credit.

Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Message 6 of 12
mab463
Established Member

I didn't realize that. I know for Cap One they do, as Equifax wanted to decline me due to the high utilization. I am moving out and starting my own job, so I don't want to be held back by then, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking off cards that added to my AAOA and will likely have <50% utilization by the end of the year.

Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 7 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@mab463 wrote:

@H4LO wrote:

Is one easier than the other? I feel like contacting Chase may be easier than contacting all of the CRA's. My dad would happily do so.

Chase is who they contact and Chase updates the credit bureaus.

Message 8 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@mab463 wrote:

I didn't realize that. I know for Cap One they do, as Equifax wanted to decline me due to the high utilization. I am moving out and starting my own job, so I don't want to be held back by then, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking off cards that added to my AAOA and will likely have <50% utilization by the end of the year.

50% is high it should be below 30% total and individualy. Really below 9% is ideal but 30% is okay.

Message 9 of 12
mab463
Established Member

Okay, can you exlpain one last thing to me as well?

apparently: Equifax, meanwhile, will stop reporting new information associated with the account once you're removed as a user. However, history up to that point will continue to be reported for the usual seven years (if the account was not paid as agreed) or 10 years (if the account was paid as agreed).

So does this mean just the debt up to this point will then show on my credit report? I'm not sure how that helps me then if EQ does that.
Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.