cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

tag
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

Man you KNOW I had to come and 'get some of this' convo Loll

I have to admit 'I knew' I had a pride problem when I was ashamed to post about my credit woes, because simply put... I just 'jacked' my own credit up, no lay-offs, no-tragic scenario, no-medical issues, just straight irresponsibility and impulsiveness.  I was 100% consumer! 'not a responsible one at that!'.

So when I wrote my first post in the Rebuilding section I felt so 'low', like I'd be kicked for just messing things up 'without a legit excuse', but it was the total opposite - now mind you.. there was that 10% who have NEVER met with anything other than stellar income, credit, and lifestyle.  Not knocking that but they made it known that I deserved what I got (true...true). 

But the other 90% were VERY helpful, didn't sugar coat things and answered all of my questions sometimes even twice or three times.

So looking back I'd have to say 'no - I don't think they laughed at my $500 secured card back in the day' but I'd be naive to think that a chuckle doesn't break out from time to time  when a random 'OMG I just got my $100 CLI after FIVE tries'!!!! post shows up.

Needless to say, I am super mindful of those here with questions and set-backs and answer them with humility and understanding...

I'm still learning as well.

Loll great post OP!

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 31 of 82
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

My moms scores are 840's on tu and eq.  she refuses a cl more than 5k.  she's just never, ever, not once, missed a payment or not pif.  That's what I most regret.  The limits will come, if you want them and can support them.

I think it's great to see peeps coming onboard with scores in the 500's and seeing them rise steadily.   I get very excited for everyone, no matter the limit.  And I must admit, the challenges are kinda fun.

Message 32 of 82
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
@Also @Pilotdude:
Who pays for airline drinks? Thats what airline cards are for. Incidental credits!

Not that I have one... :-(

All of us who still have those CapOne cards with a 500 limit still pay for our drinks on the planes...and two drinks pushes us to 25% util!!! Smiley Mad  You'd think they'd at least give the guys landing the plane a fee martini or somthing...sheesh!

To remain on topic though:  I love that there are folks here running around with 100K+ credit limits who are willing help the new guys like me out.   I would not blame them for laughing at us on occasion.  I chuckle every now and then when I hear a new private pilot up with his girlfriend sound totally confused on the radio because it reminds me of when I made the same darn mistake myself.

Tower controller: "Cessna WTF675 Traffic Alert 11:00 1/2 miles A380 descending out of 5000 Maintain VFR separation"

Cessna pilot  "Burbank tower Cessna WTF675.............a what ?  A What ummm"

Tower controller "Cessna WTF675  see that really BIG jumbo jet .5 miles from you, about the size of a Football field?"

Cessna Pilot "Oh yea...I got it"

Tower Controller "Cessna WTF675  Good...dont hit it"

Everyone who goes before makes mistakes too.  Its just that in their shining glory later, nobody recalls the mistakes they make, only that they are now successes.  The truly classy ones, reach back to help those coming after them.  There is a lot of that here. Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 33 of 82
twall06
Frequent Contributor

I am glad all the "high rollers " are on here I am rebuilding my credit and the advice they have given has really helped me. Use to I would get offers for a CC with a 500 limit and would laugh because it was so low , but after I lost my job and my credit tanked I was thrilled to get a Cap1 card with a 300 limit so I could rebuild.Everyone does have to start somewhere.

Message 34 of 82
Joteism
Regular Contributor

As you can see, I'm just getting started myself, so I've often wondered the same thing as the OP. But I'll admit this... At times, when I see one of those "APPROVED!!!!" subject lines and click on the post only to find that the person getting approved has a 750+ score, I just immediately hit the "Back" button on my browser. Certainly not out of resentment, but just because I feel like I'm still light years away from those discussions. I guess my problem is that somehow I relate high FICO with actual wealth, thus feeling a lot more comfortable amongst the people whose FICO "shoes" I've already walked in or currently wear (Kinda like in my real life!). 

That said, I absolutely love the signatures that have 400-some score few years ago and show a current score of 700+. Super inspiring!

So thank you for those that are trying to get "there" and for your great questions that I would have never thought to ask, but also great thanks to those who have already made it and still hang around here helping us on our journey!

Message 35 of 82
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I more chuckle when one of the high rollers who is new to the forum posts a thread like "OMG one app and I lost 27 points!!!!! Please HELP!" and your realize their score just dropped from 830 to 803 and you have to talk them off the ledge. 

I joined this forum with scores around the 500s and something like $40K in CC debt (may have even been more, I know I posted the total once but can't remember).  So I've had a big slice of humble pie.  My scores aren't in high achiever territory yet, but I can feel pretty confident I will be approved for most credit cards.  I just try to pass on a little bit of what I learned hanging out here.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 82
Open123
Super Contributor

LOL...In my view, the greatest thing about America is that we're all peasants!

To borrow something from Shaw, "you see what is, but I see what could be."  What will happen is infinitely more important than what has happened or even what is happening.  The "here and the now," is only shaping the life we will lead tomorrow.  I see low scores as being potenital 700+ in a few years.

Low scores and the $500 CL (even the $100 BBRZ) can lead to premier cards with $20K + limits in a short amout of time.  Spend within one's means, pay your bills on time and everyone can have "excellent" credit.  If only "life" were that easy!

Message 37 of 82
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

It's like that expression, "You never miss the water, till the well runs dry." When I had good credit (well, 700's range), I really didn't appreciate it, and took certain things for granted in respect to the large credit limits (well, large to me, 5-12k range). Then, your life just goes to hell in a hand basket, and as Waltk said, it does humble you up very quickly; at least in my case it did. But, that's a good thing, because despite everything else, if/when I am in a better place all the way around, I will look at things from a completely different perspective and NOT take it for granted.

Message 38 of 82
djrez4
Established Contributor

I don't think of myself as a high roller, even with multiple five-figure limits.  There's still a nagging derogatory mark on my reports that I can't get rid of that keeps me right around 700.  I'm interested to see what happens when that drops in July/August, 2014.

Even so, my scores were in the low 500s at their nadir and I know how that feels.  If/when I join the 800 club, I'll be around to pass knowledge on to those who need it.

Message 39 of 82
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Walt_K wrote:

I more chuckle when one of the high rollers who is new to the forum posts a thread like "OMG one app and I lost 27 points!!!!! Please HELP!" and your realize their score just dropped from 830 to 803 and you have to talk them off the ledge. 

I joined this forum with scores around the 500s and something like $40K in CC debt (may have even been more, I know I posted the total once but can't remember).  So I've had a big slice of humble pie.  My scores aren't in high achiever territory yet, but I can feel pretty confident I will be approved for most credit cards.  I just try to pass on a little bit of what I learned hanging out here.   

Lol..   I really like that one.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 40 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.