cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Do MyFico High Rollers Ever Laugh at Us Peasants?

@LionLaw wrote:
This is a fascinating thread to read. It seems like a lot of the high rollers on here followed a common path: had good credit without truly appreciating its value, then screwing it up one way or another, then eventually building it up to be stronger than it ever was.

That might be because this forum is primarily visited by people who have or have had credit issues in the past. There are other high rollers out there that have never had credit problems, but you won't find many posting here.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 71 of 82
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Indirectly, many of us had excellent credit. Mine was not mis management or overspending, it was lack of income from a changing job economy shortly  after a divorce. Paying my child support and attempting to keep a different roof over my head,  First priorities. I did not eat out or have cable. My internet was dial up.  I got behind on one cc in my possesion and late on two house payments. Because, I was unable to pay the total min. due on my cc account, I accumulated consecutive 30s, a 60 and a 90 lates. I closed the account and paid it off. I went to default rates. I can attest that 29.99% and late fees add up very fast. When the lates from this one negative account age off, I will be pristine again and retain my memberhsip in the 800 club. At that time, most of my accounts will have seven years of green. I can smell the fresh cut grass now!

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 72 of 82
cschick
Valued Member

I'm a medium roller at best. Mid 20s with a pretty thin file but spotless history which gets me into some interesting credit brackets. Like well we can offer you the prime mortgage rate but no one will write pmi on you.... As long as you're happy I'm happy. I used to be a cashier and I did stereotype by credit card type but in the other direction... Amex centurions were usually people I wanted as far away as quickly as possible. People with more pedestrian cards and subprime cards were so much nicer and easier going
FICO: 782(Ex, AMEX 8/12), Mortgage Pull(3.0%, 5/1 ARM from Local CU 2/2013): 725(EX), 757(TU), 772(EQ); 775(EX, Amex 8/14)
Cards: Amex BCE(10300), Discover(7000), Target (1000), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa (8500), Chase Freedom(5000), Barclay Arrival+ (10000), Amex HHonors Surpass(11,800)
App'd: Barclay & Hhonors Surpass Aug 2014, PenFed & Freedom Feb 2013, Amex & Target Jul 2012, Discover Feb 2008 Gardening til ???
Goals: TBD, possibly a mortgage refi to a fixed rate or better adjustable
Message 73 of 82
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, most who post here either built, had to rerebuild, building, or find credit cards and/or rewards as a hobby.

I think when people are building something from scratch, credit is an invaluable tool to accomplish that building in a faster pace.  Financing is an essential tool for early stages of any enterprise, such as a first home or business.

Others I've known (who were born into...for a lack of a better word...affluence) have no need for credit, since they have the money to buy just about anything.  Since a credit score has no meaning to them (they will never need a loan of any kind), most don't even care if you place a collection on their report.  Their high end bank or amex card they have couldn't care less about their credit scores because they have such high "known" assets, unless it's a bankruptcy.

I'd guess those who "look down" are the ones whose "credit" score is seemingly the most impressive financial accomplishment.  I'm not knocking it, but just making an observation.  Similar to phenomenon where those most critical on the obese are the ones who were once fat and have lost the weight.

Message 74 of 82
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

I Definitely don't laugh. I wonder alot about how old some posters are. Many of these topics allow me to reflect on where I was financially at a younger period in my life.

Yes, I am a high achiever but i havent always been therefore it would be quite hypocritical if I found pleasure in some of the things that folks on this board go through.

Message 75 of 82
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

No laughing from me.  Up to 2003 had okay credit and decent cards.  In 2003 things got away from me and I got sued and also had 3 COs.

From 2003-2007 no credit cards, and only 1 high interest car loan. 

2007, Chase BP Visa for $200.

2009, USAA Mastercard for $2000 (I quite literally stood up and said "oh s**t!"  as I couldn't believe the limit since I still had two COs showing)

2010, USAA Amex for $9000 and Amex SPG for $2000.

By end of 2011 all derogs gone, scores back in the mid 700s, and some bigger limits and better cards.

So no laughing from me.  Been there, done that, and it's no laughing matter.

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 76 of 82
Express
Frequent Contributor

No,because we all had to start somewhere!.

Smiley Wink: Just keep up the good work and soon you we be one of us Smiley Very Happy

I just got a CLI this week from walmart, one by the web sight and the other by using the backdoor numberTotal CLI $5000,I thought I was going to pass out when they approved it  

CL $408,200
Message 77 of 82
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I'll be the lone dissenter here and say sure, I laugh at people on a semi-regular basis. It really depends on the attitude with which they are posting, but being approved for a small limit in itself doesn't warrant condemnation. If someone is genuinely happy about being approved for a 1k limit, that's good and I'm genuinely happy for them.

Where I start to laugh is when people think they're hitting the "big-time" or show some level of arrogance, when in reality being approved for a 5-10k limit doesn't warrant that kind of attitude or anything close. The same is true when I read posts from complete morons who despite being told several times how things work, they argue that it isn't so. I've seen one poster recently who is now gone but had multiple threads, each 10+ pages long badmouthing certain lenders who refused to approve him when in reality, the problem was staring him in the mirror.

In many ways it's a reflection of society as a whole. Some guy at work couldn't stop bragging about his "brand new Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo". A lot of other people there only helped to feed his ego, but I just laughed and walked off. He didn't seem to understand why I wasn't impressed, and that's not surprising either.

I don't laugh at these folks, I feel sorry for them.  I've always hoped that some of the younger people here could learn by my mistakes, which I freely share.  But then I think about how NO ONE could have told me squat when I was 21 that I would have listened to.  *I* knew it all, and *I* knew best.  So, I understand the mindset having lived it. I continue to post occasionally in the hope that maybe some of my experience will rub off.  If it does, great!  If not, then at least I tried.... Smiley Happy

Well you know what they say about leading a horse to water... If you can't help them, then profit off of them (or people like them). In this world you can't have kings without servants, and there's no more fitting people to become (economic) servants than those who couldn't be bothered to help themselves.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 78 of 82
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

I presume that everyone on this site is here because of past credit problems and errors, and had to start from scratch again. I sure do hope we are all hear to help each other and not scoff at was once everyone's situation here on MyFico.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 79 of 82
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

I presume that everyone on this site is here because of past credit problems and errors, and had to start from scratch again. I sure do hope we are all hear to help each other and not scoff at was once everyone's situation here on MyFico.

Some people simply have an interest in points/rewards cards. They are in the minority on these boards, but they do exist.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 80 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.