Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do PENFED cards grow?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Do PENFED cards grow?

I've had my PENFED Power Cash Rewards card since July '17. It started at $3500. I reconned to $10k. No movement after that. I run a few thousand through it some months and other months it's just a few hundred.  

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do PENFED cards grow?

IME, yes they grow, but it all depends on your overall profile (both external and internal). With PenFed, some things take time but YEMV.

I'm at their max/unsecured lending exposure for CCs ($50K).
Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also got PCR in July of 2017 with 9k SL, got my first batch of offers on 10/1/18 with $41k on all their cards including PCR, called to claim my CLI and was told only 18k was preapproved and HP would be required for the full 41k, I opted for the SP 18k making total CL 27k. So yes, it might take a while but it can grow.

FICO 9 was in the 830's when the offers showed up, probably could have gotten the full 41k but didn't want to let my peoples down in the garden club.

Message 3 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I’m not sure about auto growth, but if you ask I find them to be fairly generous. I believe my Defender was approved for $7500. I got a BT offer later and asked for a CLI. Denied due to Max Revolving Limit or something cryptic like that. Called to recon and the Loan Officer was a dream and just asked how much I was looking for. I said $20k and she said done. My next approval for PCR was $10k last spring. In December I decided to roll the dice and asked for a CLI on my Defender and it came back instantly at $29,500. Using the same HP I tried on the PCR and it came back instantly at $19,500. So I have been at $49k for the past year and haven’t wanted to waste a HP to round those off to the maximum $50k. Their underwriting is also very income-dependent. Under 6 digits these days would be unlikely to see $50k.
Message 4 of 35
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I think I started with $14k, 3.6 years ago. I apped for another CC a month later and was denied. Called in to see if I could move CL to open the other card.
They told me it would process in a day or two. Some one opened the card. But never transfered any CL from my Cash Rewards. So I ended up with two $14k CCs instead of two $7k CCs. Lol
I eventually closed the old Amex they opened and moved it to the Cash rewards.

It stayed that way until November of last year. When I started receiving the SP pre-approvals. I've taken them up on 3 SPs so far. Bringing me to $45,700.
Right now I have a pre-approval of $4300 on the site, that would make it an even $50k
They have my individual income as $65k a year.

Penfed soft pulls.png

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you're saying more SP CLI offers could reappear for my PCR? How long did it take? Should I look forward to 1/1/19 review?

My reported income with them is also $65K, was frankly shocked with the $41k offers to be honest.

Message 6 of 35
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So you're saying more SP CLI offers could reappear for my PCR? How long did it take? Should I look forward to 1/1/19 review?

My reported income with them is also $65K, was frankly shocked with the $41k offers to be honest.

For sure Oldman87! I've been receiving them every 3 to 4 months like clockwork. Since getting the first one. 

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For sure Oldman87! I've been receiving them every 3 to 4 months like clockwork. Since getting the first one. 

Good to hear, was disappointed when the $40k car loan offer disappeared after taking the SP CLI on PCR, might take that up if the rate is competitive later in 2019.
Message 8 of 35
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Yes they do.

My first PenFed card was the Promise SL $10,000. I barely use it- few charges here & there.

At exactly 6 months I logged in and found offers! Nearly fainted.

$8000 cli or SL on any of their cards. I choose the PCR.

$8000 increase after 6 months seems like pretty decent growth IMHO. 0001Cheerleader.gif

My income is 68,000. uti< 2% 

Patience grasshopper, it will come.. pirategold.gif

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

My PenFed defender went from 5000 to 10000 with a Hard pull request. Was trying to do a large balance transfer and leave a cushion. This was two years ago.
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.