cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Pending Charges get reported as part of balance?

tag
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Do Pending Charges get reported as part of balance?

Was just wondering if I have some charges pending on my card when the statement cuts, will the be calculated in with the reported balance?  Or will only the balance of what has cleared be considered reportable as far as balance is concerned?

Much Thanks,

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do Pending Charges get reported as part of balance?

Short answer.....No they are not reported.

Message 2 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

+1 not included
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 8
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Some cards will post those pending charges moments before cutting your statement.  They are technically not pending anymore at that point, and the balance will show up in the statement. YMMV based on the CC and the timing.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 4 of 8
john398
Senior Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Some cards will post those pending charges moments before cutting your statement.  They are technically not pending anymore at that point, and the balance will show up in the statement. YMMV based on the CC and the timing.

Sometimes pending charges never get posted such as authorized on a rental car or hotel  hold

Message 5 of 8
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1

HaHa!  So true.  I'm one of those that likes to pay my account in full just before statement cut and it really irks me when the pending charges hit moments before the statement cut!  It happened to me this month with my Wally card.  Used it for some activity and got stuck with a reported balance.  UGH!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

That's a lesson I had to learn the hard way. I am not able to do the PIF on all cards or only one card with a balance optimal scoring right now. So the one factor in my control is having SOME accounts report $0 as I PIF on them. For these I do not use the card for the last week before the statement date and make a PIF about three days before the statement date.

The only thing that could really screw you up at that point is if you have an auto pay service account linked to that card that bills just before statement. I try to use cards that auto pay will hit in the middle of the cycle if possible. My cell phone bills late in the month (last week) but it seems to vary by a few days each month, so it goes to Discover whose statement date is the 11th. I get to catch it and PIF before statement (and currently get 2% cash back as a bonus).

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

+1

HaHa!  So true.  I'm one of those that likes to pay my account in full just before statement cut and it really irks me when the pending charges hit moments before the statement cut!  It happened to me this month with my Wally card.  Used it for some activity and got stuck with a reported balance.  UGH!

Yep- Wally world is my worst offender that way too. They apply the payments slowly too. Even if you make the payment there is no guarantee that they will get it applied before they cut the statement.  They are frustrating. Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.