Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Small CC Purchases Round Up?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Do Small CC Purchases Round Up?

I had a gift card for Amazon. When I went to place the order, the price was 12 cents above the gift card amount. However, the charge on my card is showing as a dollar. (No, it’s not a verification/authentication fee. The card has been linked to the account for a long time.)
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do Small CC Purchases Round Up?

Just a "pending" kind of thing.
I see it all the time with online purchases that aren't yet fully processed by the "computers."
It will stop showing as $1 and then show the proper amount (12 cents in your case).
It will probably be done fully processing by the end of Tuesday (holiday weekend).
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you're seeing is the authorization/pending charge.  Perhaps the minimum for these is $1, and once the charge actually posts, it will reflect the 0.12.

Message 3 of 6
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What you're seeing is the authorization/pending charge.  Perhaps the minimum for these is $1, and once the charge actually posts, it will reflect the 0.12.

The weird thing is that Amazon has never done it before. I’ve bought a bunch of stuff with this card on Amazon and never had an authorization fee. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say there's a decent chance the reason you're seeing it now versus in the past is due to the holiday. There may be some differences with how everyone's systems are operating at the moment.
Message 5 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

This happens monthly on my AMEX card with my 99 cent iCloud bill. It goes into pending as $1 and posts as 99 cents. I saw that happen recently with another sub-$1 charge on that card. It might have been Ace Hardware.

I think it has to do with the bank rather than the merchant.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.