Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

tag
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 

Edit: I've revised the title for those that need clarrification... 

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

@CC365 wrote:

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 

MasterCard (MC) is not going to be obsolete. MC has larger international acceptance and market share than Visa. A lot of credit union issue MC for their cards. Chase issues MC for its business CC.

In fact in Canada some small business don't take Visa but do take MC.

By your logic, AMEX and Discover are going to be obsolete because very little people issue them? Truth is AMEX and Discover are growing strong as well.

Message 2 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

MasterCard (MC) is not going to be obsolete. MC has larger international acceptance and market share than Visa. A lot of credit union issue MC for their cards. Chase issues MC for its business CC.

By your logic, AMEX and Discover are going to be obsolete because very little people issue them? Truth is AMEX and Discover are growing strong as well.

Wow kind of harsh a simple... "In my opinion" would have done fine. That is since you actually didn't state any facts at all only your own opinions though for the most part I would agree with you. 

Sorry I just felt I had to reply to this one. 

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 3 of 39
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Actually in Europe, MasterCard has a higher acceptance rate.

Also, World MasterCard and World Elite MasterCard has cool double circle emblems on their cards Smiley Wink
AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:
Actually in Europe, MasterCard has a higher acceptance rate.

Also, World MasterCard and World Elite MasterCard has cool double circle emblems on their cards Smiley Wink

Interesting way of looking at it. Come to think of it in my opinion the emblem for the World Elite MC does look cool Smiley Happy

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 5 of 39
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

Wow kind of harsh a simple... "In my opinion" would have done fine. That is since you actually didn't state any facts at all only your own opinions though for the most part I would agree with you.  

It is not harsh, it is the fact. I merely pointed out the flaw of OP's argument.

Message 6 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

Perhaps you missed the main point... also I said "atleast in the US" ...perhaps reading the entire post is better than assuming you understand the entire post. Also I don't mean obsolete as going out of business but rather less common in the U.S. It seems as if the big banks aren't pushing MasterCard as a primary issuer. American Express and Discover have been increasing ever since they opened it up to other banks. Now GE supports Discover, AMEX has Bank of America, USAA, and so on. Also they have the reputation of being more conservative and isolated from VISA/MasterCard. My point was that now people often have to request a MasterCard edition for them to be sent. When you look at the MasterCard website they don't display any student cards, etc. 

I hope this link is allowed. MasterCard said to Lose Users

Message 7 of 39
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Actually I believe World and World Elite mastercards have the same double silver logo? Just the wording outside the logo is different.
AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 39
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Banks can advertise whichever payment network they want. If bank A feels Visa has more favorable term they will push for it. If bank B feels MC can generate more profit they will issue it. It all comes down to each particular bank.

Message 9 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Banks can advertise whichever payment network they want. If bank A feels Visa has more favorable term they will push for it. If bank B feels MC can generate more profit they will issue it. It all comes down to each particular bank.

Again...that is part of the point. It seems as if most big box/generic banks in the US feel they get better terms with VISA. Therefore, MaterCard doesn't really push for the US market as much as they would overseas. 

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.