Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

This does not seem harsh to me. The "By your logic" part was the most abrasive, and it still wasn't too bad. I do not know the statistics, and am not compelled to look them up -- but he did present the information about market share, credit unions issuing MC, and acceptance in Canada as facts -- not opinions. Again, I did not verify their truth, but you sure didn't seem to either before you called him out. Here is a fact: I am a member of two credit unions and both of them issue MC as their debit cards. Further, they both offer both visa and MC credit cards - but they have more MC cards (ie world MC, Platinum MC, and secured MC) than Visa cards available to their members. In my wallet, 2 MC debit cards, 2 MC credit cards, and one Visa CC. Without the "By your logic" slay, +1 to trumpet.

@RonDawg wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (at least in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 

MasterCard (MC) is not going to be obsolete. MC has larger international acceptance and market share than Visa. A lot of credit union issue MC for their cards. Chase issues MC for its business CC.

In fact in Canada some small business don't take Visa but do take MC.

By your logic, AMEX and Discover are going to be obsolete because very little people issue them? Truth is AMEX and Discover are growing strong as well.

Wow kind of harsh a simple... "In my opinion" would have done fine. That is since you actually didn't state any facts at all only your own opinions though for the most part I would agree with you. 

Sorry I just felt I had to reply to this one. 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 11 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

This does not seem harsh to me. The "By your logic" part was the most abrasive, and it still wasn't too bad. I do not know the statistics, and am not compelled to look them up -- but he did present the information about market share, credit unions issuing MC, and acceptance in Canada as facts -- not opinions. Again, I did not verify their truth, but you sure didn't seem to either before you called him out. Here is a fact: I am a member of two credit unions and both of them issue MC as their debit cards. Further, they both offer both visa and MC credit cards - but they have more MC cards (ie world MC, Platinum MC, and secured MC) than Visa cards available to their members. In my wallet, 2 MC debit cards, 2 MC credit cards, and one Visa CC. Without the "By your logic" slay, +1 to trumpet.

You must have a lot in common with trumpet. I stated "atleast in the US". Beyond that point, it was implied that most big banks just send out VISA as the generic choice. If you read it you would have noticed I said they offer the option for a MasterCard. Since when did they remove Reading Comprehension from the curriculum. 

Message 12 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

You must have a lot in common with trumpet. I stated "atleast in the US". Beyond that point, it was implied that most big banks just send out VISA as the generic choice. If you read it you would have noticed I said they offer the option for a MasterCard. Since when did they remove Reading Comprehension from the curriculum. 

Um wow. :: Shakes head :: Okay I am going to bow out of this one.
AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 13 of 39
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

First of all, I read your entire post several times, so I resent the implication that I didn't. Second, you have absolutely no ground to get defensive with me, as I did not say one negative thing about you. I know that you said "at least in the US". I am giving you a factual counter example (from the U.S) to what you said by saying that my banks send out MC and have options for visa. So if anyone isn't reading, It's you. The implication that my reading comprehension is lacking is quite the opposite of the truth, just like your entire point about banks sending out visa and having options for mastercard was the opposite of the truth -- I am a PhD student at UCLA, where they care about reading comprehension. I will now bow out of this one too, so you can have the last word. I will not respond anymore, so have at it kid.

Love,

Swap

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 14 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:
Um wow. :: Shakes head :: Okay I am going to bow out of this one.

lol I think I might have come off as being abrasive on that one.

This thread has gone way off into a battle that should never have happened. Perhaps we all need a break. Finally, I hope we can all agree that whatever was said on this thread stays on this thread.

Message 15 of 39
bs6054
Valued Contributor

If we want facts, well, internet facts anyway:

Worldwide this year:  Visa cards, 2B, M/C 1.7B   This is from their sites, in an annoying video from M/C, in a table on the Visa side.

For the US, there is a 2010 report, summarized in http://www.cardhub.com/edu/market-share-by-credit-card-network/

49.6% Visa, 33.4% M/C

Might have changed since 2010 but that is what they have.

BTW. Lots of interesting info on the site, such as cards by issuer, showing Amex the top in purchase volume.

Message 16 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

First of all, I read your entire post several times, so I resent the implication that I didn't. Second, you have absolutely no ground to get defensive with me, as I did not say one negative thing about you. I know that you said "at least in the US". I am giving you a factual counter example (from the U.S) to what you said by saying that my banks send out MC and have options for visa. So if anyone isn't reading, It's you. The implication that my reading comprehension is lacking is quite the opposite of the truth, just like your entire point about banks sending out visa and having options for mastercard was the opposite of the truth -- I am a PhD student at UCLA, where they care about reading comprehension. I will now bow out of this one too, so you can have the last word. I will not respond so have at it kid.

Love,

Swap

This post is just to correct once again what this poster stated. The fact is most Big Banks in the US have switched to VISA that is why the US market share is larger than MasterCard. In addition, this poster is quite ironic by attempting to take the "high road" yet refrences another adult as a kid. Irony!

Message 17 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Worldwide this year:  Visa cards, 2B, M/C 1.7B   This is from their sites, in an annoying video from M/C, in a table on the Visa side.

For the US, there is a 2010 report, summarized in http://www.cardhub.com/edu/market-share-by-credit-card-network/

49.6% Visa, 33.4% M/C

BTW. Lots of interesting info on the site, such as cards by issuer, showing Amex the top in purchase volume.

Thank you for posting the original observation! 

Message 18 of 39
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

49.6% Visa, 33.4% M/C

Not quite the original observation which started: "I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US)"  50 to 30 isn't almost all....

Your approach of looking at big bank sites and counting by product might give useful info, but it might be, for example, that Bank X M/C product is really is major product, and the 4 visas they show are very much niche.  Or not.   So figures of market share are somewhat useful.

Also, the figures are in apparent disagreement with some of the earlier posts, which said that M/C had a larger market share.   It doesn't by cards issued, maybe by some other measure.

Message 19 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

49.6% Visa, 33.4% M/C

Not quite the original observation which started: "I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US)"  50 to 30 isn't almost all....

Your approach of looking at big bank sites and counting by product might give useful info, but it might be, for example, that Bank X M/C product is really is major product, and the 4 visas they show are very much niche.  Or not.   So figures of market share are somewhat useful.

Also, the figures are in apparent disagreement with some of the earlier posts, which said that M/C had a larger market share.   It doesn't by cards issued, maybe by some other measure.

I give up...I should have put an * with stating    *this is not an official study    Smiley Very Happy

The essence is VISA has a higher marketshare in the U.S. 

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.