cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do charge card statement balances show up on CR's?

tag
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

Do charge card statement balances show up on CR's?

Will the statement balance of my Amex PRG show up on my credit report and count against my utilization? I haven't been maintaing a zero balance right before my statement cuts and I've sorta been assuming that it is negatively affecting my score. Today I read somewhere that charge cards don't report balances to CB's since they are PIF every month. I don't wanna pull a report just to find out since I'm assuming someone on here knows the answer to this question. Thanks in advance for any help.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Do charge card statement balances show up on CR's?

My amex charge card reports a balance so an amount owed but does not factor into utilization.
Im pretty positive thats how it works.
Message 2 of 6
ddemari
Super Contributor

If i pay in full before statement cuts and let it close at 0 its the same logic with cc's but this balance doesnt affect your ratio.
Message 3 of 6
EddieK
Established Contributor

On most newer models it won't factor into utilization, but it definitely will on the EQ04 model.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 4 of 6
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. I'm currently carrying (small) balances on 4 cards (all 0%) because of tuition expenses. I'm only using AMEX for day to day stuff to ensure I PIF and lower my debt each month instead of increasing it. I just don't want it to look like I'm carrying 5 balances instead of 4. I could easily manipulate my spending to ensure it reports at 0 but I suppose there is no reason for me to bother with this as it doesn't affect my utilization. Besides I'm not applying for anything soon besides CLI's.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@MissCredit9 wrote:

Today I read somewhere that charge cards don't report balances to CB's since they are PIF every month.

That is incorrect.  Like (most) credit cards a cycles closes out and the balance is reported at that time.  The payment is due at a later point and does not reduce the reported balance.

@MissCredit9 wrote:

I don't wanna pull a report just to find out since I'm assuming someone on here knows the answer to this question.

If you use a service like CK you can access reports at no charge.  CK only covers TU and EQ but it does offer weekly updates and access to historical report data.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.