cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

Some places don't accept Amex due to high transaction fees and charge back. So my question is.. Do people really move their business elseswhere or they simply charge the transaction to their Visa/Mastercard ?

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

Nowadays most places do take amex/discover. Some mom and pop shops don't, but I think the population of those who don't is sort of dwindling. 

Message 2 of 71
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Nowadays most places do take amex/discover. Some mom and pop shops don't, but I think the population of those who don't is sort of dwindling. 

My schools doesn't accept Amex for tuition payment citing high fees.  Too bad I can't use my Fidelity 2%.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 3 of 71
Ailee92

@jsucool76 wrote:

mainly cause mom and pop shops are dwindling Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 71
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

Some places don't accept Amex due to high transaction fees and charge back. So my question is.. Do people really move their business elseswhere or they simply charge the transaction to their Visa/Mastercard ?

I do if AMEX givevs me a better return on my money I do. Even the doller store tacks AMEX.

Message 5 of 71
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

There are more and more places which formerly accepted only Visa/Mastercard, now accepting AmEx and Discover.

Traditionally, the smaller shops did not want to pay higher swipe fees, but they are gradually getting wise to the fact that American Express and Discover cardmembers, tend to spend more per transaction, so that even though they pay a slightly higher swipe fee, they are also making a larger sale - and attracting a larger pool of customers overall..

In the long run, the economics of accepting AmEx & Discover actually makes sense.

To answer your question: I don't think many people will walk out of a place that doesn't accept AmEx, as most cardmembers also carry one of the other cards (which probably feature better rewards, anyway).

Message 6 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

If the establishment has something I can't find elsewhere (like foie gras in CA), then I'll just use Visa, MC or cash.  For larger purchases, I'll only use an Amex because of the warranty, accidental coverage and consumer protections.  If the merchant doesn't accept Amex, I'll go buy it elsewhere.

For business, our firm won't consider hotels or restaurants for larger events unless they take Amex.  Just easier for accounting and it's preferred by our accounting dept.

PS - Because I've got the BCP, I will not shop in any grocery establishment without Amex acceptance.

Message 7 of 71
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Sometime I only shop with AMEX due to its outstanding warranty policy, and will not use other CCs.

Message 8 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Sometime I only shop with AMEX due to its outstanding warranty policy, and will not use other CCs.

Right, all things being equal, given the potential negative experiences with Barclay and Discover regarding consumer disputes, why use either of them for larger purchases?

Message 9 of 71
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@w20031424 wrote:

If the establishment has something I can't find elsewhere (like foie gras in CA), then I'll just use Visa, MC or cash.  For larger purchases, I'll only use an Amex because of the warranty, accidental coverage and consumer protections.  If the merchant doesn't accept Amex, I'll go buy it elsewhere.

For business, our firm won't consider hotels or restaurants for larger events unless they take Amex.  Just easier for accounting and it's preferred by our accounting dept.

PS - Because I've got the BCP, I will not shop in any grocery establishment without Amex acceptance.

+1. I like to put large purchases on Amex for the protections. I've only made a claim once but it was extremely easy and my account was credited within 2 days. For small businesses I don't mind paying with a different card. I do have issue when a merchant tells me to pay with cash instead of credit when credit is clearly accepted, since I never carry more than a few dollars on hand. It's happened a few times and needless to say I don't go back.

Message 10 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.