Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do deposits help in getting approved?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do deposits help in getting approved?

Hello just a general question for the community and so I can get DPs. 

If you make a large deposit into a saving or checking account, and just keep it there. Does that improve your chances of getting approved for a credit card from that particular financial institution? Especially when it comes to denials of DTI?

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question, just would like to know. 

48 REPLIES 48
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Do deposits help in getting approved?

@Anonymous wrote:

If you make a large deposit into a saving or checking account, and just keep it there. Does that improve your chances of getting approved for a credit card from that particular financial institution? Especially when it comes to denials of DTI?

It is not that silly of a question since it has been asked about/discussed frequently. 

A bit of the answer depends on the definition of "large deposit" for some it would be a few thousand, for others it is 10s of thousands or even >100k. 

A few thousand isn't likely to sway a bank (in my opinion) but if you tossed >100k in the bank is going to be more motivated to keep you happy so you continue to let them play with your money. 

Message 2 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is not that silly of a question since it has been asked about/discussed frequently. 

A bit of the answer depends on the definition of "large deposit" for some it would be a few thousand, for others it is 10s of thousands or even >100k. 

A few thousand isn't likely to sway a bank (in my opinion) but if you tossed >100k in the bank is going to be more motivated to keep you happy so you continue to let them play with your money. 

I was thinking more about a couple of thousands. I don't highly recommend having 100k sitting in just a saving account at that point. The only thing that will be appropriate if you are trying to reach the tiers of BofA, at the point just put it in a Merrill Lynch account.

Edit: Also, will it sway a small CU? 

Message 3 of 49
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

IMHO, The only time it swayed a CU for me, Is when I had large direct deposits going into Pentagon Federal,

and it totalled over $100K .. then they gave in. I doubt any bank or CU would be swayed by a few grand.

For BoA or Chase, it would probably take a MillionSmiley Tongue

Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

IMHO, The only time it swayed a CU for me, Is when I had large direct deposits going into Pentagon Federal,

and it totalled over $100K .. then they gave in. I doubt any bank or CU would be swayed by a few grand.

Thanks for the DP.

If you have millions looking at CU and Banks for Credit Cards is not needed haha! Just go for the super exclusive cards that no one could get haha. 

Message 5 of 49
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

At $1 million the financial advisors at the local BoA financial center(s) will make sure you know each other even if you have a self-managed portfolio.   $1 million at Chase barely gets you above peon class, you start to get interesting at $2 million and $10 million makes you fairly special.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Banks are not likely to offer even the $1:$1 that you'd get in a secured card agreement when doing it this way. It's just as impractical, and even less efficient. 

This option wouldn't even be a "Plan B", it would be a last resort, dead last, after even a secured card if I NEEDED to rebuild credit and there was NO other way. 

Message 7 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

At $1 million the financial advisors at the local BoA financial center(s) will make sure you know each other even if you have a self-managed portfolio.   $1 million at Chase barely gets you above peon class, you start to get interesting at $2 million and $10 million makes you fairly special.

Well, at least I know where my money would go if I had to choose between the two. 

Message 8 of 49
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I had something like $10k at Chase which probably helped me get a $600 Freedom with no credit history. That was before their spaghetti logic made me a VIP due to the by-then-closed Bear Stearns account I'd had as a minor.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Well, at least I know where my money would go if I had to choose between the two. 

@Anonymous I just reviewed my history with Chase and its as follows:

10/17 - Opened Total Checking account for the $200 bonus.  Deposited the $1,500 required minimum and directed a portion of my income to the account.  After two weeks and with the $500 monthly minimum in Direct Deposit requirement satisfied I withdrew the initial $1,500.  The SUB was paid a few days after I met the $500 threshold.

12/17 - Opened Chase Savings for $150 bonus by depositing $10,200 for 90 days (required minimum is $10K).

12/17 - Received my first and only online pre-qualification for the Slate, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards.  Applied for the Freedom in-branch and approved with a $4,000 limit.

2/18 -  Cold apped for the Amazon Prime Rewards card and approved despite being 8/24 at the time. ( I don't recall if the Amazon card was included in the 5/24 Rule back then). Approved for $6,000.

3/18 - Withdrew the original $10,200 from Savings after getting the $150 bonus and set up an automatic transfer from Checking for $25 monthly to avoid the account maintenance fee.

7/18 - Opened Chase You Invest account and seeded it with 10 shares of Amazon stock worth about $12,000.

8/18 - Opened Chase Total Business Checking with a $2,000 deposit.

12/18 - Received in-branch pre-approval for all credit cards offered by Chase.  Applied in-branch and approved for the Sapphire Reserve with a $35,000 credit limit while at 16/24.

8/19 - Closed Savings & Total Business Checking accounts; transferred assets from You Invest to a Merrill Edge account.  Only depository account open is Total Checking with the minimum DD of $500 going in each month.

I say all of that to show that its possible to get approved for Chase credit cards if you establish a depository relationship.  Although I rarely used the Savings and Total Business Checking accounts, I used the Total Checking heavily and purposely passed 5-digit deposits through it a few times.  Since ACH transfers from Chase are free (unlike the $3 charged by BofA), I would deposit the amounts there first, then route them to where I intended them to go.  I'll finally be below 5/24 later this month and I intend to apply for the Freedom Unlimited as soon as that occurs.

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.