Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i have a shot at the amex gold?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Do i have a shot at the amex gold?

@learningcredit101 wrote:

I got my experian from freecreditscore, i also forgot to mention that i also want the gold not only for the rewards but for the status Smiley Wink im not one to be irresponsible so thats not a factor. My main reason for posting was to see if you guys thought i would have a fair chance of being approved.

All AMEX charge cards(Green/ Gold/ PRG/ Platinum) have the same underwriting requirements so it doesn't matter.  If you want the charge card for the flashy "status" per se reasons, then go for the Platinum but there's a hefty $450 AF.  

All cards have its purpose, and although you may want to go w/ the Gold just for the status reason, I would recommend going for the PRG so you can get the most benefit for the first year and you can always downgrade to the regular Gold or Green or even upgrade to Platinum. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 11 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If you can meet the minimum spend to get the bonus, then yes, PRG for one year is OK.  But I wouldn't suggest you downgrade to the green later on.  Unless you really need the no preset spending limit, the new Everyday card, with no AF is much better than the green.  It earns additional points in some categories, and if you use it 20 times a month, earns at least 1.2MR per $.   Really no need for the green anymore!

Message 12 of 33
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

If you can meet the minimum spend to get the bonus, then yes, PRG for one year is OK.  But I wouldn't suggest you downgrade to the green later on.  Unless you really need the no preset spending limit, the new Everyday card, with no AF is much better than the green.  It earns additional points in some categories, and if you use it 20 times a month, earns at least 1.2MR per $.   Really no need for the green anymore!

I agree completely. Get the PRG for the signup bonus and use it enough to get the sign up bonus only pretty much and then sock drawer it. Close it before the annual fee hits. (I also fully agree that downgrading to the Green is not a good idea in your case... just close it.)

It's a great idea to get the PRG and then turn around after approval and app for the Everyday card (the one longtimelurker is speaking of.) Be very careful when you're applying for the Everyday card -- it isn't the blue one it's the new one that's on commercials.) This will allow you to keep your sign up bonus MRs from the PRG sign up bonus and you can spend them later when you want to. Smiley Wink And this card I would keep for as long as you humanly can. lol Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 33
learningcredit101
Established Member

Ok so its a safe bet that i should be approved for the rpg?

Ex: 745
Macys: 2.5k
Wells fargo:2.6k
Amex Hilton Hhonors Surpass: 2k
Amex PRG: NPSL
Citi AA: 3.4k
Message 14 of 33
asulaw
Established Member

This is what I would do, I would apply with a 50k MR bonus on a PRG (more than pays for the AF for a few extra years). No AF for the first year which is nice too. I would also apply for the EveryDay at the same time, you can do Preferred if you think you're going to spend that much but at least the EveryDay. You'll get another 10k MR (or 15k with the preffered) and the Everyday is no fee, preferred does have AF. But don't waste the opportunity to get a revolver too!

My GF was approved having only had 1 other credit card before and scores were in the 720's on CK at the time.

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 15 of 33
Untitled
New Contributor

I would say, get the PRG, get the signing bonus, then downgrade to the Senior Gold card. You can have your cake and eat it too.You get the signing bonus, and 'the status' for only 55$ annual fee.

Message 16 of 33
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@yudeology101 wrote:

@learningcredit101 wrote:

Well to be fair the first year the fee is waived off but anyways would you recommend the green card? It has the same rewards program and the fee is 95 a year. The only downside is you dont get bonus points for spending a certain amount in 3 months.

For charge cards, I would definitely go w/ the PRG for the signup bonus and you can always downgrade to Green after 12months to reduce your AF down to $95.  The reward system is different from PRG & the Green:  PRG gets 3x on airfare, 2x on groceries & gas, and 1x points for everything else (points per dollar), where as for Green is 2x for traveling (purchased through Amex Travel site) & 1x point for everything else. 

Where are you getting your EX score from?  If anything, I would invest $20 each on EX & TU from MyFICO and see what your actual scores are so you have a better understanding where you are and go from there.  But just from your given scores, i would agree with others that you should be fine Smiley Wink

::edited for typo::

Agreed. I would app for PRG because of the bonus and AF waived year 1  by next year you will have solid history with Amex to get any one of their revolvers.

ETA:  Invest in getting your full CR before applying for anything. The typical consumer also thinks they have an 800 Fico score and dont for a variety of reasons. 

Message 17 of 33
learningcredit101
Established Member

I just did the pre app thing on the amex site that doesnt affect credit score and it said they didnt have any special offers for me. Maybe this is because my score hasnt updated yet, but nonetheless im not gonna take any chances, im just gonna garden till october and see what happens then. I also have one free credit report left so ill use it in october and see.

Ex: 745
Macys: 2.5k
Wells fargo:2.6k
Amex Hilton Hhonors Surpass: 2k
Amex PRG: NPSL
Citi AA: 3.4k
Message 18 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Untitled wrote:

I would say, get the PRG, get the signing bonus, then downgrade to the Senior Gold card. You can have your cake and eat it too.You get the signing bonus, and 'the status' for only 55$ annual fee.

Well, get the PRG, get the Everyday and cancel the PRG after the first year, but KEEP the physical PRG card!  Then you have it in your wallet for all the perceived status, and now have no AF.

Message 19 of 33
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Untitled wrote:

Well, get the PRG, get the Everyday and cancel the PRG after the first year, but KEEP the physical PRG card!  Then you have it in your wallet for all the perceived status, and now have no AF.

LOL Yep this should be the way!  I love you longtimelurker i think you've nailed it!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.