Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do or don't go on a credit app spree?

tag
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Do or don't go on a credit app spree?

I see alot of people talking about going on a credit app spree.  I also see alot of people having alot of cards with decent CL's.

It seems that my relatively low number of accounts could be hurting me?

Here's what I have:

Cap One (formerly a HSBC account) 'retail' account (bought a Suzuki motorcycle basically with a credit card) - $15k CL, $8k balance - AofA 4 yrs. 6 mos.

Cap One card - $500 CL, $40 balance - AofA  2yrs

US Bank reserve credit line - $750 CL, $50 balance - AofA 1 year

Walmart card - $700 CL, $35 balance - AofA 1 month

ThatI is my complete credit profile at this point. 

100% on time payments. 

0 baddies on EQ

1 baddie on TU and EX (paid collection, 2yrs. old, and btw, don't put a utility in your name for a family member, aaargh)

EQ 702

TU 684

EX 677

I'm right at 50% utilization on these accounts when combined.

I feel I need a card with a substantial limit.  BTW, that Cap ONe with the $15k limit, is no longer active.  They (HSBC) stopped that credit program that they had with suzuki about a year after I bought the bike.  So that account balance can never go up, just down.

GE Credit Union is where I'm starting to do most of my banking.  I wonder if I could get a good size CL with one of their cards?

Also with GE Credit Union, a 709 EQ puts  an inidividual in the lowest interest rate bracket, so I'm only 7 points away from that.  I plan on buying a car in the spring and house in fall of next year or spring of 2014,

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?  Wait, be patient. Don't get anymore credit?  Or get some more accounts in hopes of improving my utilization percentage and increasing the size of my credit file?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Do or don't go on a credit app spree?

If your having a reported util at 50% your going to have a hard time being approved for anything with a hint of high limit.  How is that suzuki card being reported as installment or revolving?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 15
RonDawg
Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

I see alot of people talking about going on a credit app spree.  I also see alot of people having alot of cards with decent CL's.

It seems that my relatively low number of accounts could be hurting me?

Here's what I have:

Cap One (formerly a HSBC account) 'retail' account (bought a Suzuki motorcycle basically with a credit card) - $15k CL, $8k balance - AofA 4 yrs. 6 mos.

100% on time payments. 

0 baddies on EQ

1 baddie on TU and EX (paid collection, 2yrs. old, and btw, don't put a utility in your name for a family member, aaargh)

EQ 702

TU 684

EX 677

I'm right at 50% utilization on these accounts when combined.

I feel I need a card with a substantial limit.  BTW, that Cap ONe with the $15k limit, is no longer active.  They (HSBC) stopped that credit program that they had with suzuki about a year after I bought the bike.  So that account balance can never go up, just down.

GE Credit Union is where I'm starting to do most of my banking.  I wonder if I could get a good size CL with one of their cards?

Also with GE Credit Union, a 709 EQ puts  an inidividual in the lowest interest rate bracket, so I'm only 7 points away from that.  I plan on buying a car in the spring and house in fall of next year or spring of 2014,

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?  Wait, be patient. Don't get anymore credit?  Or get some more accounts in hopes of improving my utilization percentage and increasing the size of my credit file?

Ask yourself these questions before you do

Why am I doing this?

Am I going to buy or refinance a house in the near future?

Do I need the credit?

Do I care about my credit score?

If you still want to do the app spree, I would offer this advice.  Only app for a card your going to use.  Do not over do it or you could cause a negative reflection on your CR by having too many inquiries, this in turn could cause the creditors you have to take another look at you and that in not such a good way either. 

Get only what you need and wait till later for other things.

The Garden is not such a bad place, there is lots of room in there for everyone if they want to join it Smiley Wink

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 3 of 15
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Revolving and it's killing me.

I've discussed with my CU about taking a loan out on my 2007 van that I practically stole and paid cash for a few months ago, and pay off that Cap One/ Suzuki account. Or leave somewhat of a balance and keep it active for a while so it doesn't hurt my AAoA since it's my longest active account.

Yeah, that's what I need to do.  If I paid that Cap One down to $2000, I would have about a 12% utilization rate...Total credit limits are reporting at $16k.

That seems to be the path to a pretty healthy Credit score increase:  Utilization down to 12% and a new auto loan which should help because it will show a bigger variety of credit, instead of just credit/revolving accounts.

Message 4 of 15
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Even after you pay it and its closed or from the date that its closed it will continue to report as a positive tradeline for the next 10 years

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 5 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

Revolving and it's killing me.

I've discussed with my CU about taking a loan out on my 2007 van that I practically stole and paid cash for a few months ago, and pay off that Cap One/ Suzuki account. Or leave somewhat of a balance and keep it active for a while so it doesn't hurt my AAoA since it's my longest active account.

Yeah, that's what I need to do.  If I paid that Cap One down to $2000, I would have about a 12% utilization rate...Total credit limits are reporting at $16k.

That seems to be the path to a pretty healthy Credit score increase:  Utilization down to 12% and a new auto loan which should help because it will show a bigger variety of credit, instead of just credit/revolving accounts.

My guess is that you are paying quite a lot in interest each month.   That is a big problem financially and you should worry about paying those off and nothing else. 

You are mistaken about paying off your Suzuki account, it will continue to age and add to your AAoA for 10 years after it is closed.   Not paying it off is costing you money.  Adding more cards will not help your credit.

Message 6 of 15
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Yes the Cap One/Suzuki acct. is killing me with interest.  I'm going to end up paying 4x the original price of the bike and the few thousand in accessories that I bought....errrrr....put on credit.

Yup, that has to be done. (I'm like talking/thinking/typing outloud and to myself right now, so don't mind me, lol).

Garden hell....I'm gonna clear cut that Cap One account.

Message 7 of 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

If I was in your shoes it all depends on your interest rate on your motorcycle capital one card. if you got a great finance offer then it's great, but regardless if you wanted to go on a app spree to get rid of your toy limits which is recommended is to take out a personal loan or motorcycle loan to pay off your bike so it changes to a installment account and not revolving. After that your credit score should jump atleast 30-40 points imo ymmv.

After the utility goes down I would apply for decent cards with good rewards. Like Citi Forward (5% movie tickets 5% restaurants 5% amazon) that you know you'll probably use, US Bank Cash+ if you can get one would be amazing and do this first cause it's the hardest to get. upto 6.25% cash back on almost anything since you choose your categories. Then Amex Blue Cash Preferred for 6% groceries, 3% gas, 3% department stores.

Those 3 are my top reward cards for the average joe that doesn't travel too much. After you get those 2 cards your Fico will rebound strong esp if your looking to buy in 2014 and you'll still stay in the prime credit scores to get any auto loan at a good price.

100% on time payments. 

0 baddies on EQ

OK

1. first try to get a loan to pay off the bike if your going on a app spree this should raise your scores atleast 30-40 points imo ymmv, then try to PC the US Bank card for a Cash+ card recon if you have to explain that you never lived in that location when you put in utilities for your family etc. Should be fine if you never physically lived at that address.

2. If you get approved for a Cash+ then email capital one executive office about how you would love doing business with them, but your credit file has matured and have better cards and would like to request a product change to a better card like cash rewards for 1.5% everything with a higher limit. Aim for $5,000

3. If you do not get approved for a Cash+ then apply for a American Express BCP then talk to capital one about product and limit increase

4. Get Citi Forward card imo

In my opinion best cards for app sprees are

1. US Bank Cash+

2. Amex BCP

3. Citi Forward

4. Chase Freedom (with Trifecta if you can, Chase Sapphire and Chase Checking)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Paid off that account and watch your score grow in a few months.

If you plan to purchase new house in a near future then NO APPS SPREE.

Stay with what you have and apps spree after new house. Thats what i would do.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

Paid off that account and watch your score grow in a few months.

If you plan to purchase new house in a near future then NO APPS SPREE.

Stay with what you have and apps spree after new house. Thats what i would do.

I didn't see the house in Spring, I dunno how i missed it, but yea pay off your motorcycle first, then watch your scores rebound, buy the house, then app for good cards. US Bank Cash+ would be the best after a house purchase cause upto 6.25%  back on home improvement and home furnishing.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.