cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do some cards not report on an Authorized user's CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do some cards not report on an Authorized user's CR?

Hey gang, I am thinking about adding my semi-adopted daughter to a couple of my cards as an AU and was just curious it there were some cards out there that wouldn't show up on her credit report if I did this.  Don't want to waste the time if it won't help her out.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do some cards not report on an Authorized user's CR?

I know, with certainty, that Chevron (issued by GeMB) does not report on the AU credit. I have a BF as an AU on my account and it does not report on his CR.
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont know which ones don't! but I do know from personal experience that BOA rewards Visa, AMEX and Discover report on AU's CR...

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User's may not report on your credit, even if the issuing CCC normally does.  If the AU has a different address than the account statement address, it is very probable that it will NOT reflect on the AU credit.

Why?  Unless the CCC required the SS# of the AU, there is no way to link them to the account.  If the AU lives at the same address, then the combination of name and address will likely report the AU on their credit because name and address combination can link it.

So, if you want the AU to be reported, the statement address will have to be added to the AU CR so that it links up.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info!  Just to make sure that I'm not doing anything shady, the express purpose of doing this is to help her out and get her a good credit file started.  She will not actually be using the card.  Are there any legalities I should be concerned with if I list her address as my own seeing as how she is there almost every day visiting my wife and daughter?  I by no means want to step into a possibly "grey" area by doing this
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best way for her to establish credit is with a Credit Union and savings secured credit card.  If she can't afford to save money, she can't afford credit.  My opinion.

Credit Unions are member owned, so they focus on member benefits rather than shareholder returns.  They are conservative, but they treat you as an individual more so than big banks.

If this person does not live with you, is not related and does not have use of the card, then you are in fact manipulating her credit.  What I mean by this is your sole intention is to improve her credit score when in fact she had done nothing to be more credit worthy.

My advice:  This is not the best way to start credit if this is not a daughter, grand daughter, relative and will not actually have any access.  Good credit is not quickly established. 

There are student cards, starter cards and what are known as "crap" cards that issue to no-credit or bad credit types, but they quickly outlive their usefullness because they don't grow, the fees are high and CL's are stuck submarine.

With the Credit Union, within 6 months to a year she can have her secured card unsecured and have a real financial/credit relationship that will help her in the future and she will be developing good credit habits.  Never do for someone what they can do for themselves, just help them get there.

Of course, this is my opinion and many may disagree. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good point.  THe only reason I was considering this is because she has to be the most responsible 18 year old i know.  Works two jobs, straight As in school, plenty of money in savings.  Maybe the better option would be to co-sign an account with her.  Something with a small balance that I could cover if the need ever arose.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would actually do more for her credit than an AU account.

Have her open a savings account with a student credit union or other credit union, then get the loan (you can co-sign) there.  This will develop personal credit, establish a good banking relationship and put her on the road to great finances and credit.

You seem to be a great friend!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 20
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
She will not actually be using the card.  Are there any legalities I should be concerned with if I list her address as my own seeing as how she is there almost every day visiting my wife and daughter?  I by no means want to step into a possibly "grey" area by doing this

Can you be absolutely positive that she won't use the card? I wouldn't list your address as hers. Just giver her social security number to the bank. The bank will end up reporting the tradeline  to her credit files. Your address will more than likely get added to her credit reports once the tradeline is inserted in her files using the the SS# identifier.

Once your address is placed in her files, subsequent AU tradelines will probably find their way into her files without benefit of SS#. 

Message 9 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cards that have reported AU's for my family:
Discover
American Express (now we can't get the dang things off their reports)
Bank of America

Cards that have not reported:
PenFed gas card
Gap

We have not had any problems with AU's misusing the cards. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.