Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do some loan officers just play dumb?

tag
crystal0920
Valued Member

Do some loan officers just play dumb?

I thought it might be good to add a small personal loan to my credit mix. I contact a credit union and speak to the loan officer and find out what report they pull and ask for $500

I then tell her my exact fico score, inform her I only have 6 months credit history, the number of inquiries on my report, and what accounts with cl and balance of each account.

I proceed to ask if there is anything I told her that would probably get me  denied before wasting a inquiry and she says we can't make that determination with out pulling your cr, but she sees no problem.

So like an idiot I apply and get denied for not enough credit history. Well no kidding, that was one of the things I already told her. Maybe she thought I really had 10 years history and for the fun of it I made it up.

Why would she not just say upfront after being told that with the short credit history it would be denied instead of having me waste the inquiry?

Fico scores 6/1/14 Ex 680 Eq 668 TU 692

Cap 1 Unsecured $750 / Cap 1Secured $200 / Kay's $300 / BOA $500 partial secured / Badcock account $1,200

Denied: Kohls, Discover IT, Barclays, DCU
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: Do some loan officers just play dumb?

Sometimes they just don't know if a short credit history would be a problem until they pull your report. Unless you have long history and an excellent score, an app will always be a maybe until they pull it. Don't fault her, in her opinion you might have qualified, just not according to the algorithm. Why not try to get a manual overturn? 

Message 2 of 3
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Do some loan officers just play dumb?

Sometimes they just run your report thru an computerized underwriting system that spits out weather you are approved on not, the loan officier in that case really just pushes paper

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.