cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do travel cards usually come with higher limits?

tag
duckSF
Established Member

Do travel cards usually come with higher limits?

I think I read somewhere that travel cards usually start off with higher limits. Is that true? Credit is excellent.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do travel cards usually come with higher limits?

Not necessarily. It's all based upon an individual's profile which takes into account income/DTI, history, etc., and the lender itself.
Message 2 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Correlation is not causation. People with higher incomes tend to travel more (or at least spend more on travel) and often choose travel cards. They generally get good limits, but they would also get good limits on cash back cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP which cards and limits do you have? What is the month and year opened for each? What are your FICO scores?

Are there specific travel benefits you are looking for, or only higher limits?

As noted good credit history can lead to good limits on many types of cards.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 13
duckSF
Established Member

805 Fico. Pretty much all the major banks with 10-25k limits. Average age 12 years. Currenty used 7% of my available. have one mortgage. 

Not really into rewards, just interested in high limit cards as I sometimes take money out for business and don't want to get balance chased if I take out too much too fast. 

Message 5 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For cash advances, I would strongly discourage travel rewards cards as they almost universally have much higher APRs than other cards from the same lenders. (Somebody has to pay for us to travel the world!) Even when a card such as Chase Sapphire Reserve might start out at only about 17.99%, often the cash APR will be 25+%.

Instead, you may consider looking into some no-frills cards from credit unions that may have APRs even for cash advances down in the single digits or at least low teens. Many CUs can be very generous with limits even with their most basic “Platinum” cards with no rewards. Alternately you may want to consider a low-APR personal line of credit, where you can just write yourself a check when the need arises.
Message 6 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:
For cash advances, I would strongly discourage travel rewards cards as they almost universally have much higher APRs than other cards from the same lenders. (Somebody has to pay for us to travel the world!) Even when a card such as Chase Sapphire Reserve might start out at only about 17.99%, often the cash APR will be 25+%.

Instead, you may consider looking into some no-frills cards from credit unions that may have APRs even for cash advances down in the single digits or at least low teens. Many CUs can be very generous with limits even with their most basic “Platinum” cards with no rewards. Alternately you may want to consider a low-APR personal line of credit, where you can just write yourself a check when the need arises.

+1000

Message 7 of 13
duckSF
Established Member

You can get 50k+ in cash advances?... I don't care about the interest rate. Just high limits.

Message 8 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@duckSF wrote:

I think I read somewhere that travel cards usually start off with higher limits. Is that true? Credit is excellent.

I think it's possibly true. When I got the Venture card it was by far the highest starting limit I'd been offered. And when I got the Chase Hyatt card that also had the highest, or one of the highest, starting limits I'd seen. On the other hand my Amex Delta card came with a low starting limit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

It should also be noted that many of the no frills credit union cards have no cash advance fee, either. I never do cash advances except with credit union, no-fee, low-interest platinum cards.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.