cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you guys recommend Wells Fargo credit cards?

tag
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

Re: Do you guys recommend Wells Fargo credit cards?

I was getting "pre-qualifed offers" regularly from Wells Fargo last year and had concerns.  Decided to apply and was approved for their Propel Card.  No problems with their online site and able to pay online without an issue.  Also, had a fraudulent purchase which they contacted me about.  Removed the charge, closed the account and reissued a new card.  I was also able to recieve a sp cli on the card a couple of days ago.

From my experience, I would recommend.

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 11 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I dont recommend them at all after their scandal on creating bogus accounts. I did app for their propel last year only to grab the SUB, was denied for too many new accounts in 24 months. Was at 5/24. If you are going to get the card I would do it for the SUB only then get out.
Message 12 of 24
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

That isnt true. I was able to do a product change from Platinum ViSA to propel Amex last year. So unless something changed recent, product changes are possible.
Message 13 of 24
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:
I dont recommend them at all after their scandal on creating bogus accounts. I did app for their propel last year only to grab the SUB, was denied for too many new accounts in 24 months. Was at 5/24. If you are going to get the card I would do it for the SUB only then get out.

I like to use it for the Cellphone insurance, Im paying $14 for a service that is necesary but that I don't use!! 

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 14 of 24
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@Isacking97 wrote:

I was send an offer (pre-qual) for the Visa Platinium, 21.74% APR, 0% APR for 18 months and cellphone insurance included  

Do you guys recommend Wells Fargo credit cards?

No.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Interesting that I got approved for the Propel last month being around 24/24.  Did you have a checking account with them? I opened a checking account with them for the sign up bonus.  And they gave me pre-approved offer for the card when signing in. 

Message 16 of 24
OmarR
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Isacking97 wrote:

I was send an offer (pre-qual) for the Visa Platinium, 21.74% APR, 0% APR for 18 months and cellphone insurance included  

Do you have bank accounts with them? If so, be wary. I have a checking account with them and got the same mailer with pre-qual code. App'd and got 'under review'. Letter arrived a week or so later with three reasons for the denial:

- You bank account balances aren't high enough (guilty, I don't trust you to keep much money with you)

- You have inquiries! (guilty as charged)

- Your bank account hasn't grown over the past year (guilty, I only opened it in January)

I drained the checking account last week, will close before the statement on the 18th. To answer your question: No, I don't recommend anything from Wells Fargo.

Depending on the OP's needs, I was going to suggest that they churn WF for a checking account SUB instead.

I know that's the reason for your WF accounts and it would be for me as well if I was in their geofence.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 17 of 24
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Isacking97 wrote:

Regarding the question in the Subject line (Do you guys recommend Wells Fargo credit cards?):

I don't think we should allow/have banks that are "too big to fail," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_big_to_fail and I also think that banks that participated in and caused the real-estate sub-prime crisis then took the government bailout (TARP) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubled_Asset_Relief_Program#Participants have an unpleasant aura. Wells Fargo is in both of those categories.

I'm more enthused about credit union credit cards (instead of commercial bank credit cards) these days.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 18 of 24
noobody
Established Contributor

couple month ago went throught a lot trouble get my propel AMEX approved with 840 score w/o prior relationship, no problem using the card all over the world.

still have a question about PC

Do they HP and set up a new account? that's not a PC, why anyone want do that by losing SUB

Do they NO HP just set up a new account, thus shorten AAoA and AoYA?

DO they HP and keep old account history?

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never had a problem with them in many many years. Only recently (~5 years) have I had credit accounts with them. And still never have had a problem.

To answer the PC questions a few had, yes they can PC you. I PC'd a Platinum to the Cash Wise. No hard pull however the Platinum was completely closed and a brand new account opened. No back dating of history either to the opening date of the original Platinum. Also, I wish they would add a luv button online. Would be nice to not have to call in for a chance at a CLI.

For me, the Propel and Cash Wise combine to make a no annual fee version of the Sapphire Preferred and Freedom Unlimited combo. I know there's no travel partners with WF but you still get decent travel protections and cell phone protection too.

Was never a victim of the random accounts, random fees, random insurance policies.

Everything has an outlier. Guess I'm on the positive end lol.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.