cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have one from each of the Big Four?

tag
kristin93
Established Member

Re: Do you have one from each of the Big Four?

Hi there,

I do have each of the big four.

2 American Express (Gold Premier Rewards and Everyday)

2 MasterCard (Barclaycard World Elite Arrival + and Target)

4 Visa (Chase Freedom, Chase Slate, and Citi Diamond Preferred)

1 Discover (Discover Card)

Although I dont think that having a card from each issuer will boost your score, I do feel that my Discover card is super useful, and that it is a network worth being a part of for a few reasons.

- the rotating 5% cashback categories are solid. In addition, their redemption process is absolutely seamless. You can redeem your earned cashback bonus at any time for any amount in any form (unlike AMEX).  

- the customer service is the best I’ve ever experienced (this is coming from someone that works in and studies the service industry) It doesn't take long at all to get a live person on the phone and normally that individual is qualified to help you with all of your inquiries.

The only con is if an establishment doesn’t accept all card issuers, chances are Discover is not accepted there

MY WALLET: Discover - $2500 | Victoria's Secret Angel Forever - $6000 | Express Next A-List - $3400 | CareCredit - $12000 | Chase Freedom - $3500 | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $1500 | Amazon Store Card - $5000 | Target RedCard MasterCard - $3500 | Paypal Credit (BML) - $3500 | Barclaycard Arrival + World Elite - $6500 | American Express Everyday - $10000 | American Express Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL | Citi Diamond Preferred - $3530
Message 61 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just started rebuilding after my BK7 two years ago. Yes, I know. I buried my head in the sand, lived off cash and only just started applying for credit two months ago. But, in that time, I have acquired a Mastercard, Visa and Discover. Because I had a BK7, everything I'm reading says that I probably won't be approved for AMEX for another 5 years or so at the earliest. 

Message 62 of 78
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have just started rebuilding after my BK7 two years ago. Yes, I know. I buried my head in the sand, lived off cash and only just started applying for credit two months ago. But, in that time, I have acquired a Mastercard, Visa and Discover. Because I had a BK7, everything I'm reading says that I probably won't be approved for AMEX for another 5 years or so at the earliest. 

When I applied for my AmEx in 2014, I was 7.5+ years out from my BK7, which was kind of the earliest the boards reported you could get one from them (if you didn't burn them). I've noticed over the last year, however, that has relaxed a bit, and folks are now getting approved at about 5 years after filing. 

Who knows, as the market relaxes and is willing to assume risk, that may continue to shorten up. 

Message 63 of 78
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

Whoa, that's a ridiculous bump for an HP CLI. I should be getting my DC in the mail today. I've always been opposed to wasting HPs for CLIs but I might make an exception for Citi. Probably not right away, but I feel like I've got to roll the dice on it

I had my card for almost a year (11 months) when I applied for the CLI. Got tired of not getting SP language for a CLI. Made the request and was approved in less than 24 hours (even with a BK7 on my record). 

Message 64 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iheartwings wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I applied for my AmEx in 2014, I was 7.5+ years out from my BK7, which was kind of the earliest the boards reported you could get one from them (if you didn't burn them). I've noticed over the last year, however, that has relaxed a bit, and folks are now getting approved at about 5 years after filing. 

Who knows, as the market relaxes and is willing to assume risk, that may continue to shorten up. 

Thanks for the info iheartwings. This helps. My BK7 included a Macy's AMEX through DNB Bank. I"ve read that if the card is not issued through AMEX then you're not blacklisted with them. But, I'm not sure how correct that is. Soooooo. I will try in a year or two for AMEX and see what happens. Then I will have a card from each of the Big Four as the OP stated. If not, no harm, no foul. 

Message 65 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am confused... What doesn't AMEX have?  I mean they have everything

Blue Cash Every Day & Blue Cash Every Day Preferred - (Virdict they kinda suck for big spenders...)

Grocery stores 3% and 6% with the Preferred.  6k Cap Sucks and so does the annual fee... that’s why I don’t ever use my BCE it was my first card with AMEX and my Anchor

Here’s where it gets into it though

When it comes to Cash Back, you really have 1 Big one when it comes to personal cards, and it is AMEX BC

This is not Blue Cash Every Day, I am talking about AMEX Blue Cash, the old school card that has random hidden links.

first 6500$ at grocery stores is 1%, .5% everywhere else, then the amazingness kicks in, 5% thereafter until the 50,000$ Threshold at grocery stores. 

This card is literally the king... I mean when it comes to cash back, discover and Chase Can't compete.  Name me one category they offer other than warehouse stuff (like Sam’s club {basically a way to get walmart gift cards at 5% off}) that you can't simply buy a gift card at a grocery store... using this card year round.  The other thing here is why wouldn't you want to buy it at a grocery store over anywhere else as a lot of grocery stores have fuel rewards programs that include gift card purchases...

AMEX is king here.  The only advantage chase has when it comes to rewards is the fact that freedom cash back can be converted over to be worth 1.5x+ when redeemed for travel... However, I would much rather get a card targeted at how I am going to travel

EX Hilton to get points for Hilton stays as that seems to be more effective.

-------------------------------

When it comes to Business Cards, there is really only 4 Cards (Soon to be 5 depending on your needs)
AMEX vs Chase

Chase has the INK Cash and the Ink Plus

INK Cash - 5% up to 25,000$ on telecom, cable/internet, and cellular, 5% up to 25,000$ on Office Supply store purchases, and the well-loved MISC UTILITIES 5% Category like PayPal Digital Gifts codes as that everyone loves.   NO ANNUAL FEE

INK PLUS - 5% up to 50,000 on telecom, cable/internet, and cellular, 5% up to 50,000$ on Office Supply store purchases, and the well-loved MISC UTILITIES 5% Category like PayPal Digital Gifts codes as that everyone loves. 95$ ANNUAL FEE

INK Business preferred - 3% at a few different categories, no 5% categories... this card sucks for most and is only worth it for the 80,000K points...  AMEX already has all these Categories in their business cards moving onto them  Not sure about annual fee... This card seems worthless to me when compared to something that earns 5% as above.

AMEX

Simply Cash Business Card

5% off Telecom/Wireless Cellular up to 25,000$ 5% off Office Supplies up to 25,000$ a Year. Then you get to choose your 3% Category that allows up to 25,000$ in spending.  Categories for 3% are as follows Airfare, Hotel Rooms, Car Rentals, U.S. Gas Stations, U.S. Restaurants, U.S. Advertising, US Purchases for Shipping (stacks with 5% from OPEN FedEx that follows this) AMEX Open Savings (FedEx, HP, 1800Flowers, Hertz) AMEX Offers (Random savings like 10% off cable bill, 25 off 100 at Staples/Office Max etc. targeting both personal and business spending.  I love these especially the Chewy.com and 1800Flowers offers.  NO ANNUAL FEE

Simply Cash Plus Business Card

5% off Telecom/Wireless Cellular up to 50,000$ 5% off Office Supplies up to 50,000$ a Year. Then you get to choose your 3% Category that allows up to 50,000$ in spending.  Categories for 3% are as follows Airfare, Hotel Rooms, Car Rentals, U.S. Gas Stations, U.S. Restaurants, U.S. Advertising, US Purchases for Shipping (stacks with 5% from OPEN FedEx that follows this) AND U.S. COMPUTER HARDWARE SOFTWARE (Stacks with HP Open Savings) AMEX Open Savings (FedEx, HP, 1800Flowers, Hertz) AMEX Offers (Random savings like 10% off cable bill, 25 off 100 at Staples/Office Max etc. targeting both personal and business spending.  I love these especially the Chewy.com and 1800Flowers offers.   NO ANNUAL FEE

Really the only way AMEX does NOT compete is in the straight forward travel rewards department, but they are changing the Platinum Business to be more competitive there.

Hidden Travel Benefits

I am more of a cash back person because I can easily find deals on travel if I just wait it out that I will end up purchasing with my AMEX Like 50 off 300 Airfare offer that stacks with the 3% and the other AMEX Airfare offer they did that overlapped that.  Or the Hilton offers for 35 off 175 that stacked with the Hilton 5th night free and the AMEX 4th night free.  So basically you book a 5-day stay and nights 4 and 5 are free one courtesy of Hilton, one of AMEX, and you get a 35$ discount as well as 3% off if you have the Hotel Category.  They also have special AMEX offers on some other brands like Marriot, Hyatt, Ritz, etc. just got to log in online and watch it. 

I don't know why everyone I know IRL loves to hate on AMEX so much, they have kicked butt the past few years, but you can't really see it unless you’re a card member so maybe that has something to do with it?  I mean 1,500 x 4 = 6,000$   6,000$ x .05 = 300$...  now take 50,000$ x .05 = 2,500$  of course you lose 4% for 6,500$, so 6,500 x .04 = 180$...   That still comes out over 2,000$ ahead...That is the equivalent of having 7 Chase Freedoms’ and using them to 100% every quarter plus 2/3 of a chase freedom...

Please Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to hate... I have 2 Freedoms and a Discover it.  I burn up the 5% categories on them every quarter when I can... but seriously its only 1,500$ a quarter...or in my case 4,500$ and I don't get to choose what I get to use it towards as where having grocery stores year round gives me just about free reign.... 

If someone told me you can either lose both your freedoms and your discover it and keep your AMEX BC or Lose your AMEX BC and keep both freedoms and the Discover it, I would say see you later Chase and Discover!  Ninja Kung-Fu grip on AMEX BC.  It literally saves me Thousands every year...

Sorry thats such a huge post, but I don't understand how AMEX doesn't appeal especially if you say you don't travel...

P.s.

to reply to the OP,  I have

5 AMEX - BCE, BC, Premier Rewards Gold, Simply Cash Business, Simply Cash Business Plus

5 Master -  2 Citi (DC & ATT), 1Huntington, 1 5/3Bank Business,

6 Visa -  1 Blispay, 1 Fidelity, 2 Freedoms, Ink Plus, Hyatt

1 Discover

I think it is good to get your feet wet with numerous cards,  the game isn't about finding one card and stcking with it, it is about catching em all [Like Pokemon!!!] (You should rank them all based on your spending and aquire them starting with the one that will save you the most money and work your way down the list to the next, then use them to best fit your spending to save as much as you can).  If everyone just stuck to one card, there would be no reason for card issuers to compete with each other.  So diversify!!!

Message 66 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 Discover
1 AMEX
1 Visa
4 MasterCards
Message 67 of 78
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

13-Visa

5-MC

2-Discover

1-Amex

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 68 of 78
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Got my first Disco so now i can contribute to this thread haha!

3 out 4, no Amex, not bad i say, should help cover me for todaySmiley Wink
Message 69 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I can officially say this now.

1 Amex

1 Discover

3 MC

2 Visa

Message 70 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.