cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you keep your new credit card paperwork?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you keep your new credit card paperwork?

Wondering if there’s any benefit in keeping the paperwork from my new credit cards or if it’s fine to just toss them. Trying to be more minimalist in general. I’m guessing the same information can be found on your online account or sent to you if you request it. 

So so do you keep your paperwork or toss? Has there ever been a situation where you needed the papers in hand for something? I appreciate any input!

9 REPLIES 9
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Re: Do you keep your new credit card paperwork?

I shred everything out of habit. Terms and conditions of your account are always online.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I scan into my filesystem on my computer and then shred. Never needed one but you never know when it could come in handy if there is a problem.

Message 3 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

I keep all the paperwork, disclosures. Toss if it is superseded, keep the new.

It is easier to look through the paper rather than flounder around online wondering which menu tree the kid programming hid it in. Makes perfect sense to the kid, but I can’t find it.

There are often nuances to YOUR card, such as variations on Visa Sig benefits to be aware of. I found my CapOne QS ( pc from Platinum ) had good travel insurance and seemed decent rental car. That may change, but the paperwork gives you a baseline of what you agreed to.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Good question.

I actually never thought about it although they are kept in my fireproof lockbox.

I don’t know why I saved them. I guess just out of habit.

Hmmm

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
I keep all the paperwork, disclosures. Toss if it is superseded, keep the new.

It is easier to look through the paper rather than flounder around online wondering which menu tree the kid programming hid it in. Makes perfect sense to the kid, but I can’t find it.

There are often nuances to YOUR card, such as variations on Visa Sig benefits to be aware of. I found my CapOne QS ( pc from Platinum ) had good travel insurance and seemed decent rental car. That may change, but the paperwork gives you a baseline of what you agreed to.

This is what I do.  Not sure why I bother.  I never look at the paperwork once it is filed.  I always go online.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Keep
Message 7 of 10
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I have it all in the file cabinet.  I also print out a screenshot of any SUB's that are applicable.  I have heard here of lenders not having a record of the SUB offered at the time.

NRB, if you have the CSP, doesn't the car rental insurance on that blow the Visa Sig coverage out of the water?  It's one of the few reasons I'm keeping my CSP for another year.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wondering if there’s any benefit in keeping the paperwork from my new credit cards or if it’s fine to just toss them. Trying to be more minimalist in general. I’m guessing the same information can be found on your online account or sent to you if you request it. 

So so do you keep your paperwork or toss? Has there ever been a situation where you needed the papers in hand for something? I appreciate any input!

I guess it just depends on your cost/benefit analysis.   As far as I remember, I have never had to go back and look, so I eventually just toss after a few months.  For those for whom scanning/keeping paper seems low cost, I guess why not.   But for some of the heavy credit cards acquirers here, that ends up being a lot of paperwork!

Message 9 of 10
redpat
Senior Contributor

Toss them like a salad.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.