cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need to use your store credit card to keep the account open?

tag
Established Member

Re: Do you need to use your store credit card to keep the account open?

Pretty much every store card I've ever had has gotten closed for inactivity after a few years of no purchases. I have only one left, the Target REDcard, but I use it constantly since I live across the street from a Super Target.

Message 11 of 19
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you need to use your store credit card to keep the account open?

Did you had one close because of innactivity?

Yes and yes!

Any credit card that you don't use, would eventually be closed for inactivity!

Message 12 of 19
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@91173 wrote:

Pretty much every store card I've ever had has gotten closed for inactivity after a few years of no purchases.

This is my experience also but I'd qualify the time frame aspect.  From my observations, while credit cards (in general) are usually subject to closure from lack of use, it appears to me that my major bank cards have been more resistent to closure than my store cards.   I have a few major bank cards that have gotten little to no use for literally years without closure.  Meanwhile, I couldn't tell you how many store cards have been closed on me over the years, often without any notice.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 13 of 19
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have had the following store cards closed for inactivity:

-- Macy's

-- Bloomingdale

-- Lord & Taylor

-- JC Penney

-- Sears

-- Shell Oil

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 14 of 19
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Just for the datapoint I will add the Blue Nile card let me go over a year before they sent me a reminder to use the card or it would be closed.  I made a small purchase and we'll see how much longer they manage to keep it open. 

If you have store cards for padding, try to get a little use so they won't get closed.  A lot of times with store cards people open them for special financing and then stop using them.  

Message 15 of 19
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I have comenity store cards that are over 3 years old and I've NEVER used them. I send them $1 every 6 months or so and that seems to keep the accounts active.

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 16 of 19
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

My Ikea account was closed due to inactivity, and I was not interested in reapplying with another HP.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 17 of 19
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Kohl's closed mine for inactivity - 12 months $0 balance, closed w/o warning. Only found out because of a CreditKarma "account closed" notification.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a Jared jewelers (Sterling Bank) card closed due to inactivity. They are very quick to report "No data" when you carry a $0 balance, and will close due for no activity in about 12 months with no usage. CareCredit (SYNC) is like this with the closures, too. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.