cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think Barclay would approve me?

tag
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: Do you think Barclay would approve me?

@sailor_mercury wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what their qualifications are for each product but Barclay's can be one of the more difficult ones to obtain.  I think you would be wasting a hard pull.  If you're interested I would wait until your accounts age and until you only have a couple of inqs.

I applied for the Sallie Mae card and got my rejection letter today.  Most of my accounts are more recent and I have some inquries. 

I apped with:

AAoA 4.5 years

Util 17%

Baddies: 5 paid state tax liens from 2007/2008

TU FICO 715

Reasons:

High Number of Inqs

High number of credit cards recently opened

Insufficient number of accounts

Sorry about the decline. Smiley Sad

The qualifications for the Average Credit Rewards MC seem to be a bit easier than say, the Sallie Mae or the Arrival. I think he has a pretty good chance once his accounts age sufficiently. As for their other products, I don't know their difficulty.

Message 11 of 20
tommywerdine
Regular Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@sailor_mercury wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what their qualifications are for each product but Barclay's can be one of the more difficult ones to obtain.  I think you would be wasting a hard pull.  If you're interested I would wait until your accounts age and until you only have a couple of inqs.

I applied for the Sallie Mae card and got my rejection letter today.  Most of my accounts are more recent and I have some inquries. 

I apped with:

AAoA 4.5 years

Util 17%

TU FICO 715

Reasons:

High Number of Inqs

The qualifications for the Average Credit Rewards MC seem to be a bit easier than say, the Sallie Mae or the Arrival. I think he has a pretty good chance once his accounts age sufficiently. As for their other products, I don't know their difficulty.

Should I wait about the same for the Barclay Apple retail card, as well?

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards $10k | TobyHanna FCU $10k | Black Card $5k | NFCU goRewards $2.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred $2k | DCU Plat Rewards $2k | Huntington Voice $1250 | AmEx Delta $1k | Cap1 QS $300 | Cap1 Secured $500 | J Crew $4.9k | Walmart $2.5k | Kay $1k | Jareds $1k | HomeDepot $1k | FingerHut $900 | Macys $800 | Phillips66 $750 | Buckle $300 | Express $250 In The Garden Since: August 4, 2014. TU FICO: 711 (via Walmart) | EQ FICO: 699 | EX FICO: 677 Goals:700+ on all three.
Message 12 of 20
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@sailor_mercury wrote:

I apped with:

AAoA 4.5 years

Util 17%

TU FICO 715

Reasons:

High Number of Inqs

I agree.  Once the accounts are 1 year old and inquries have aged off your chances are MUCH better.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 13 of 20
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Yes, you should wait for your accounts to age more. I wouldn't app for both the Apple Visa and the Rewards MC; instead, I'd pick one for right now and have that as your goal. Then, wait until you feel confident in applying.

Message 14 of 20
tommywerdine
Regular Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Yes, you should wait for your accounts to age more. I wouldn't app for both the Apple Visa and the Rewards MC; instead, I'd pick one for right now and have that as your goal. Then, wait until you feel confident in applying.

That's what I will do then! Smiley Happy

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards $10k | TobyHanna FCU $10k | Black Card $5k | NFCU goRewards $2.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred $2k | DCU Plat Rewards $2k | Huntington Voice $1250 | AmEx Delta $1k | Cap1 QS $300 | Cap1 Secured $500 | J Crew $4.9k | Walmart $2.5k | Kay $1k | Jareds $1k | HomeDepot $1k | FingerHut $900 | Macys $800 | Phillips66 $750 | Buckle $300 | Express $250 In The Garden Since: August 4, 2014. TU FICO: 711 (via Walmart) | EQ FICO: 699 | EX FICO: 677 Goals:700+ on all three.
Message 15 of 20
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@tommywerdine wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I think the Apple Visa is easier to get than the rewards.  Plus if you get it you can PC later to the rewards.  I did it last year.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 16 of 20
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@tommywerdine wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I think the Apple Visa is easier to get than the rewards.  Plus if you get it you can PC later to the rewards.  I did it last year.

I was not aware you could do that. How easy was it for you to PC?

Message 17 of 20
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

@tommywerdine wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I just called in and asked them about it and they did it immediately.  I wasn't on the phone more than 10 minutes with them.

Now I do know that there are some cards you can't do a PC with, but definitely you can with Apple to the Rewards.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 18 of 20
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

@tommywerdine wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I just called in and asked them about it and they did it immediately.  I wasn't on the phone more than 10 minutes with them.

Now I do know that there are some cards you can't do a PC with, but definitely you can with Apple to the Rewards.

Thanks for the clarification! It is nice the OP has options to on how to get the MC. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 20
tommywerdine
Regular Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

@tommywerdine wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

That's a good thing to know!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.