cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think they should do away w/ credit card signing?

tag
creditwatcher
Established Member

Re: Do you think they should do away w/ credit card signing?

Brammy wrote:

Weird since you can charge to your credit card through the pin pad with out presenting the card.  I hte it since that is one in my portfolio and I can still use it without a card.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-20-2007 02:10 PM

The pin pad was broken at the register I went to.  Figures!  The card was a replacement for one that was lost and all I wanted to do was test it/show activity on the account.  At least I wasn't trying to use it for a 0% offer Smiley Very Happy
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now you can't retrieve the Master but I really wish you couldn't retrieve the storeSmiley Very Happy
I hardly ever have my card on me.
Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would never try to lie to get a better price, or make bogus complaints (that's a waste of MY time too), but when I have a problem with people who bother me for trivial stuff that isn't any of their business.

I mean, if it's a small store owner, I could understand their concern, but if you're running the register for a supermarket, you should just swipe the card and not care, because in the end it's not your problem.
Message 23 of 27
creditwatcher
Established Member

I would say it's their problem if they were fired for not following store policy Smiley Very Happy
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditwatcher wrote:
I would say it's their problem if they were fired for not following store policy Smiley Very Happy

Exactly, especially since due dilligence is a big part of a merchants defense in chargebacks.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol, i know people who worked at supermarkets, they were basically told how to use the register and that's it. Nobody told them to check the backs of credit cards. Very doubtful they'd get canned for not checking.
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Your card is not valid unless you sign it.

They should be checking the signature on the slip to the signature on the back of your card.

@fail wrote:
What's the point of having the person sign the little slip? Who looks at the signature? I never sign the back of my card, and I usually just put an X, a dot, or just scribble for the signature.

I think it's just a waste of time for the signature. Anyone who steals the card is just Joanna scribble anyway, so who cares?

Years ago when I had my Sears Card I had a cashier tell me they couldn't accept my card because it wasn't signed when they did the signature check to the sales slip. I said "oops, new card I forgot to sign it." Took the card back & signed it in front of her, she took it back & checked it to my sig on the sales slip that was 90 seconds old. I had a laugh as I walked out of Sears that night. Smiley Very Happy
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.