cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use a NFC (Contactless) enabled credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you use a NFC (Contactless) enabled credit card?

Applgoize in advacne if posts like this should instead go to the SmorgasBoard. Wasn't exactly sure since I'm new here Smiley Happy

So I'm curious how many people have a NFC (Contactless) enabled credit card and actually use the contactless feature? Or do you just use your phone instead for contactless payments? 

I personally use the card itself for contactless payments where accepted as I don't have a NFC enabled phone. 

In seems in the US this becoming far more common and more widly accepted and I actually think it's much better then having to insert your card. 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you use a NFC (Contactless) enabled credit card?

I’ve never used it. In fact, out of the 12 credit cards and 5 debit cards in my wallet only both of my Capital One cards, my Cash Magnet, and my PayPal Business Debit card even have it.
Message 2 of 33
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

Actually used it for the first time today and thought it was pretty cool. Like you, I used my physical card instead of just using my phone.

Think it’s something I’ll try to do more going forward.
Message 3 of 33
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I use it when available. I think it is much faster, and reduces wear on the card. For example, I just wave my card in the air twice when I am shopping at Costco (one for membership, one for payment).

Message 4 of 33
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I have no desire to use tap and pay. Works exactly like chip and pin, but it can be cloned if someone can get within a couple of inches of an unprotected card. It would be better to use applepay or Samsung pay because the app will create a one-time use token for transmission and you don't have to carry the card.

Message 5 of 33
Penjamin_Fedington
Valued Member

The first time I used it was at a mcdonalds that couldn't read my chip for whatever reason.  I've had so many chip read errors.

Message 6 of 33
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applgoize in advacne if posts like this should instead go to the SmorgasBoard. Wasn't exactly sure since I'm new here Smiley Happy

So I'm curious how many people have a NFC (Contactless) enabled credit card and actually use the contactless feature? Or do you just use your phone instead for contactless payments? 

I personally use the card itself for contactless payments where accepted as I don't have a NFC enabled phone. 

In seems in the US this becoming far more common and more widly accepted and I actually think it's much better then having to insert your card. 

I use my Android phone and the Google Pay app to pay via contactless/NFC when I have the opportunity to do so.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 7 of 33
calyx
Super Contributor

I use the contactless feature on my card when it's available.
I use Samsung Pay sometimes, though less frequently.   The only reason being that I'm not used to pulling out my phone yet (I use it 100% at work, though - Because I always have my phone on me - I'm not in the habit of dragging my wallet around there)

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Paris and under a certain amount contactless is the law of the land. In fact I sometimes feel weird when traveling to the states and I need to sign a credit slip. Never had a problem with fraud or losing a card! 

Message 9 of 33
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@calyx wrote:

I use the contactless feature on my card when it's available.
I use Samsung Pay sometimes, though less frequently.   The only reason being that I'm not used to pulling out my phone yet (I use it 100% at work, though - Because I always have my phone on me, whereas, I'm not in the habit of dragging my phone around)

Same here.   I exchanged one of my Amex cards and Cap1 cards to contactless when they were available.  Using the phone only when I'm in line and have time press-press-press and bring up the app, or I'll use it if I don't have my physical cards with tme.

I'm not worried about the cloning thing as fraud protection is pretty good.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.