cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX care how much you charge??

tag
Gollum
Established Contributor

Re: Does AMEX care how much you charge??

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking of applying for a ZYNC at the beginning of next year to build a relationship with AMEX, get a BCE further down the road, and backdate the BCE to the ZYNC. The thing is that I don't really plan on using the card since the rewards aren't that great and am just going to use the signup bonus to pay off 4 years worth of annual fees. 

Does AMEX care how much you spend on check cards as long as you pay off your balance? Will spending $500 a month look better than $20? 

Yes.

Credit card companies profit from your transactions even if you PIF.

Google for

interchange fee

The merchant (store owner) pays a pre-determined percentage of your purchase amount to the card issuer in exchange for being able to accept that card.

The more you pay using that card, the more the card issuer makes.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My FICO is 720, AAoA is 1 year with 2 inquiries in the past year, keep util around 6%, and I pay my balance off in full. I was just wondering if was even worth applying for a AMEX charge to build my relationship with AMEX if I don't plan on charging much to it as my other cards give better rewards. In other words, if i got a zync and spent $10 on it every month, would it help me "build a relationship" with AMEX? If not, I'm probably just going to save the pull.

I'd apply for the Green or Gold and use the hell out of it. AMEX looks very closely at the card usage. 

There are rummors that if you apply for two cards at the same time or same day they only pull one report...so you could app for a charge card and then go for the BCP card after approval. however, ymmv

Message 12 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

I use my Zync once in a while but I use the platinum amex a lot for business things that my company reimburse me.

Never had any issue. With charge cards though, they look at your spending patterns closely (soft pulls every month). I even tell them when Im going overseas so they can notate the account. So far I haven had any problems at all.

Message 13 of 16
anderl
Frequent Contributor

+1....... I app'd for 1 charge and 2 revolvers back to back,the same day, and was approved for all 3 with one hard pull.

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 14 of 16
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

I applied and received my first Amex card 13 months ago.  It had a credit line of 2K.  I used it moderately heavy and often carried a balance of around 1K.  My overall turnover on the card was good.  Meaning that I was charging a lot and also making large payments.  In total, I charged 10K over 12 months.  I recently requested a credit line increase of 1500 and was approved.  Requested the interest rate to be lowered and was approved.  Applied for delta gold and was approved for 5k.  Applied for starwood card and was approved for 2k.  My advice is to get one card and use it moderately for one year and then apply for another.  I feel its not necessary to PIF as long as your still making LARGE payments and using the card.

Good luck!!

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My FICO is 720, AAoA is 1 year with 2 inquiries in the past year, keep util around 6%, and I pay my balance off in full. I was just wondering if was even worth applying for a AMEX charge to build my relationship with AMEX if I don't plan on charging much to it as my other cards give better rewards. In other words, if i got a zync and spent $10 on it every month, would it help me "build a relationship" with AMEX? If not, I'm probably just going to save the pull.

A huge YES,

If not for their great customer service, then for the sole purpose of a BT... BT.... BT Smiley Very Happy.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.