Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX lower credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does AMEX lower credit score?

MODERATOR: PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THIS POST, I WOULD LIKE THE OPINIONS OF PEOPLE WHO HAS AN AMEX CHARGE CARD.

I am really thinking about applying for an AMEX Zync card but I am also really concerned about Amex not reporting a limit on the card. Does AMEX lowers your score because of utils???

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Does AMEX lower credit score?

I personally have not seen a drop in either of my FICOs the few times a balance has reported. Since the terms are only 30 days, I'm pretty sure the fomulas don't calculate it in utilization. On my EQ reports, it's listed under 'other' rather than in the 'revolving' section.

I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, why would a mod move it? It's a classic thread for this board.

AmEx charge balances --if reported --can affect the TU score that you get here, which is TU98 (a FICO score, of course.) Most lenders have moved on to using TU04, also a FICO score, but TU doesn't make it available for purchase by consumers, either on their own site or here. Smiley Tongue

So you shouldn't see AmEx charge card balances affect your EQ score or your EX score (if you have access via PSECU, etc.), and it won't affect the TU score that most lenders would see, but you might see it affect the TU score that we have here. You'll have to decide if that bothers you enough to skip getting the card.

Do remember that other aspects can affect your score, whether it's a charge card or not: possible inq damage, new account damage, "too many accounts with (reported) balances", eventual length of history, if you have a late in the future, and so forth. This would be true of any new credit product.

Most people who post here who have AmEx charge cards report little or no noticeable effect on their TU98 scores, probably because their util isn't affected that much.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

AmEx charge balances --if reported --can affect the TU score that you get here, which is TU98 (a FICO score, of course.) Most lenders have moved on to using TU04, also a FICO score, but TU doesn't make it available for purchase by consumers, either on their own site or here. Smiley Tongue

So you shouldn't see AmEx charge card balances affect your EQ score or your EX score (if you have access via PSECU, etc.), and it won't affect the TU score that most lenders would see, but you might see it affect the TU score that we have here. You'll have to decide if that bothers you enough to skip getting the card.

Do remember that other aspects can affect your score, whether it's a charge card or not: possible inq damage, new account damage, "too many accounts with (reported) balances", eventual length of history, if you have a late in the future, and so forth. This would be true of any new credit product.

Most people who post here who have AmEx charge cards report little or no noticeable effect on their TU98 scores, probably because their util isn't affected that much.

I think I asked a similar question before and it was move to "Understanding FICO® Scoring" by a mod. But anyways, I want an Amex card, but I am under 20 and the only Amex card for teens is the Zync. Why can't Amex offer a students credit card like Discover? Or is the Amex Blue card kinda a student card???

Message 4 of 18
JaseT
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I asked a similar question before and it was move to "Understanding FICO® Scoring" by a mod. But anyways, I want an Amex card, [b]but I am under 20 and the only Amex card for teens is the Zync. [/b]Why can't Amex offer a students credit card like Discover? Or is the Amex Blue card kinda a student card???

What's wrong with Zync?

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 5 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

When I got my Amex Gold Card (now a Platinum), my FICO scores didn't drop just because its a charge card.

Message 6 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

... But anyways, I want an Amex card, but I am under 20 and the only Amex card for teens is the Zync. Why can't Amex offer a students credit card like Discover? Or is the Amex Blue card kinda a student card???

Blue is definitely not a student card. They did used to have a student Blue but dropped it.

American Express has a traditional target market, made up of professionals and business people who travel a lot and have work-related expenses, plus fairly expensive recreation. They have broadened this over the years, but they don't try to offer a full line of cards that would meet the need of every consumer on the planet.

Zync is their newest product, and it is definitely marketed to the college-age/ in-their-twenties cards, although IMO, it can be a great card for all ages who might be interested in their various packs, or whatever they call them.

It makes sense to offer a charge card to those who are new to credit, rather than a credit card, because AmEx has a system in place where they monitor charge card usage and adjust your internal, unwritten credit limit to reduce their risk of consumer default.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... But anyways, I want an Amex card, but I am under 20 and the only Amex card for teens is the Zync. Why can't Amex offer a students credit card like Discover? Or is the Amex Blue card kinda a student card???

Blue is definitely not a student card. They did used to have a student Blue but dropped it.

American Express has a traditional target market, made up of professionals and business people who travel a lot and have work-related expenses, plus fairly expensive recreation. They have broadened this over the years, but they don't try to offer a full line of cards that would meet the need of every consumer on the planet.

Zync is their newest product, and it is definitely marketed to the college-age/ in-their-twenties cards, although IMO, it can be a great card for all ages who might be interested in their various packs, or whatever they call them.

It makes sense to offer a charge card to those who are new to credit, rather than a credit card, because AmEx has a system in place where they monitor charge card usage and adjust your internal, unwritten credit limit to reduce their risk of consumer default.

Why is Blue not a student card? Is it because of the higher limit?

Message 8 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, it wasn't designed to be a student card. It's one of their popular credit cards. Blue, Blue Cash, Blue Sky, and then all the co-branded cards (Delta Gold, the hotel cards, etc.)

As I said above, there did used to be an AmEx student card, and it might well have been a Blue for Students. But as I recall, it had a really low limit, and there was some question as to whether they would switch it over to a regular Blue after a while, without starting a second account.

I don't know why they dropped it, but they did, a couple a years ago I think it was. Just speculating, but I'd say that they preferred to have their newer, untried members on a charge card first. They gave DD#1 a Green when she was a freshman in college. (This was 2003, I think.)

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, it wasn't designed to be a student card. It's one of their popular credit cards. Blue, Blue Cash, Blue Sky, and then all the co-branded cards (Delta Gold, the hotel cards, etc.)

As I said above, there did used to be an AmEx student card, and it might well have been a Blue for Students. But as I recall, it had a really low limit, and there was some question as to whether they would switch it over to a regular Blue after a while, without starting a second account.

I don't know why they dropped it, but they did, a couple a years ago I think it was. Just speculating, but I'd say that they preferred to have their newer, untried members on a charge card first. They gave DD#1 a Green when she was a freshman in college. (This was 2003, I think.)

So does Amex do product change like from Zync to Blue or Costco?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.