Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AmEx still Backdate?

tag
tbque
Valued Contributor

Does AmEx still Backdate?

I just got approved for an AmEx HH Aspire and received the card with member since '19. I had an AmEx green Card way back in college circa 1991 closed in good standing and am wondering if AmEx will back date my new card that far?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does AmEx still Backdate?

Nope ended a few years ago.. Card will say member since 98, but not backdated on CR anymore.. Thanks Citi :/

Message 2 of 7
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

On credit report, no

On card, yes

The distinction is that accounts come and go, "membership" is permanent. Credit reports show accounts, not membership.

I am in a very similar situation (Green Card issued in 1990, closed mid-90s, no more Amex cards until July of this year) and my cards say "Member Since 1990" but my CRs say accounts opened in 2019.

You have to ask them to do this. They will not automatically do it, or at least, they didn't in my case. Maybe they will if your old account is five years old instead of nearly 30 years old. It took them about a month to track down the old info. I got the impression they were in a basement somewhere going through paper records. I asked them about it several times and was starting to feel like it wasn't worth it.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@KJinNC wrote:

On credit report, no

On card, yes

The distinction is that accounts come and go, "membership" is permanent. Credit reports show accounts, not membership.

I am in a very similar situation (Green Card issued in 1990, closed mid-90s, no more Amex cards until July of this year) and my cards say "Member Since 1990" but my CRs say accounts opened in 2019.

You have to ask them to do this. They will not automatically do it, or at least, they didn't in my case. Maybe they will if your old account is five years old instead of nearly 30 years old. It took them about a month to track down the old info. I got the impression they were in a basement somewhere going through paper records. I asked them about it several times and was starting to feel like it wasn't worth it.

It gets automatically done on card reissue IME.  I didn't open any cards between 2002 and 2017 (with 3 circa 2002 cards still open), but my first SPG card came with Member Since 2017 even though the AU card shipped with it said Member Since 2003.  LOL  Since that card got a lot of (ab)use as a daily driver, it was replaced several times and each reissue stated 2002, including the PC to SPG Luxury and the renamed Bonvoy Brilliant.  FWIW my Delta Platinum, Delta Platinum Business, and Delta Reserve all arrived with 2002.

Message 4 of 7
calyx
Super Contributor

My AmEx (BCP) from May was backdated to 1997.  I don't know how i got it on the original, but I did.

Joke was on me, I don't recall ever having an AmEx and believe that I must have been added as an AU by family.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 7
creditfan
Established Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

On credit report, no

On card, yes

sounds about right to me

my first card was from 2013. All cards applied afterward labeled "Member since '13"

Message 6 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

My original Gold was from 1980's, all cards since then come with 1980's date.

they have'nt got one wrong yet. I have had about 10 or so ..

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.