Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex care who is my AU?

tag
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Does Amex care who is my AU?

I have a PRG that I recently got, and my DW is of course an AU.  Now to help out my step brother with his credit I was thinking of adding him as an AU.  Question is would Amex question this (maybe FR)  considering we have different last names and have never shared an address  Or would they not care as long as the account is paid and they get to keep collecting their fees.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Does Amex care who is my AU?

I highly doubt AU causes anything but potentially higher credit card bills. Who really knows why Amex FRs however. But I wouldn't worry about it
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 10
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Thanks I really wasn't worried about the FR per se just the intrusive part of it. 

He did have a BK  like 12 years ago when I asked him he couldn't remember if he had Amex then.  I know your thinking what I thought how can you forget something like that. 

I think if he did burn them on the BK then they would not even allow him to be a AU on my account is that correct?

Message 3 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

Thanks I really wasn't worried about the FR per se just the intrusive part of it. 

He did have a BK  like 12 years ago when I asked him he couldn't remember if he had Amex then.  I know your thinking what I thought how can you forget something like that. 

I think if he did burn them on the BK then they would not even allow him to be a AU on my account is that correct?

if he's still blacklisted, you wouldn't be able to add him as an AU.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

if he's still blacklisted, you wouldn't be able to add him as an AU.

+1. The only time Amex cares about AUs are:

1. If that person is blacklisted due to BK or other major derog.

2. That AU spends more than the primary cardmember does. This is an issue for them because it'll appear that your credit scores were used to obtain a CC for someone else to use.

3. You add too many AUs. If you asked for 15 AUs on a personal card, it'll definitely raise some red flags.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 10
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Hmm AMEX really cares who their cardholders will be. 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 10
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I am an AU on my wife's AMEX BCE for almost 6 months now and I am the only one who is using the card most and paying it full. AMEX did not do any FR on us as the AU is using more than the primary card holder. They don't care much about who is AU and what is he/she doing with the card as long as the account is being paid on time. 

Being an AU does not help much either except getting credit scores bumped up. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 7 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

I am an AU on my wife's AMEX BCE for almost 6 months now and I am the only one who is using the card most and paying it full. AMEX did not do any FR on us as the AU is using more than the primary card holder. They don't care much about who is AU and what is he/she doing with the card as long as the account is being paid on time. 

Being an AU does not help much either except getting credit scores bumped up. 

Since you are the spouse that's using the card, chances are you will be fine, unless the level of spending is too high compared to income. Amex may be strict, but they are not unreasonable. It is completely understandable and normal for married couples to share their finances. In a way it's always going to be a YMMV situation.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

+1 to the too many AUs.

Oh, I can tell you have I seen examples of AMEX and others being concerned when there were too many AUs.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

I don't recall every card I had at the time of my BK.  Though I do recall having an AX.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.