Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex gold make sense?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Amex gold make sense?

I currently have a BCP and a JB card with annual fee. I’m thinking about just getting the gold since it basically offsets the fee minus 50 bucks. 

I aasume amex gold allows to pay for bags on JetBlue flight or is it only drinks and stuff on the plane itself?

either way, what kind of point hit am I looking at if I got the card?

Scores are around 760 now and need them to stay there at least 5 months from now

3 and a half years AAOA. Newest is 11

thanks

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Amex gold make sense?

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have a BCP and a JB card with annual fee. I’m thinking about just getting the gold since it basically offsets the fee minus 50 bucks. 

I aasume amex gold allows to pay for bags on JetBlue flight or is it only drinks and stuff on the plane itself?

either way, what kind of point hit am I looking at if I got the card?

Scores are around 760 now and need them to stay there at least 5 months from now

3 and a half years AAOA. Newest is 11

thanks

If you already have an Amex card you have a shot at getting the gold with a soft pull, so potentially no hit for the inquiry. Click on the Reccommended Cards linkon the dashboard. Yes, you can use $100 incidental for bags or drinks but you can only select on airline per year.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

That is great to know.

i was slightly more concerned with the added account showing and lowering age of credit.

I have some thinking to do 

I’m slightly wary of the whole charge card thing. I have no problem paying something off in full, it’s just a little scary

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you

That is great to know.

i was slightly more concerned with the added account showing and lowering age of credit.

I have some thinking to do 

I’m slightly wary of the whole charge card thing. I have no problem paying something off in full, it’s just a little scary

The new account will bring the score down due to the fact that it is new, but you could be saved a few points if Amex does a soft pull. 

Charge card is a good way to mentally thing about your purchases more.  But they do offer pay over time if you need to move large purchases to a revolver. 

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens in 5 months?

Are you buying a house then?

If so, I would postpone new charge card.

Might not matter but why take the risk.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bringing up this old thread because I think now might be the time to make the jump..

Or should I wait based on some good offers coming?

Right now my offer is 50,000 points.

Question though, Is it true that I basically don't need to pay off my balance before my statement hits now with a charge card?

What I mean is that I always pay it off before it posts so I show zero balance. With this charge card, I can use it all I want that month, and even if its high when the statement posts, it will show no balance???? 

Obviously I know I have to pay it off when I get the bill but do you understand what I am saying?

Thanks 

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand, since charge cards have no set CL, it will not show on your CR at all besides a new account. It will not show a limit, utilization, amount on the card, etc. However, if you don't pay it off in time, then Amex will tell the CR agencies that you are 30 days late, then 60, then 90, and so on.

So, in short, the charge card will never report a balance, because there isn't a balance to report

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me!

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this is all very confusing to me..

Yeah like if i spend $500 and decided " meh I will wait till after I get the bill to pay it off it full " would that show as zero balance on my credit?

I never had a charge card, but the Amex gold seems like a great one to have and keep. I usually always pay off everything in full anyway, or I would have other credit cards I can leave balances on if need some more time to pay off

Also, I am curious how this works, as you said if you didnt pay it off in full by the due date. Does it automatically say you are 30 days late at that point and it hits your credit. I know it works different than a normal card

Hopefully more people chime in 

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

And can someone please explain long term backdating to me, cause I hear about it and don't know what it is. 

Thank you 

Message 9 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes this is all very confusing to me..

Yeah like if i spend $500 and decided " meh I will wait till after I get the bill to pay it off it full " would that show as zero balance on my credit?

I never had a charge card, but the Amex gold seems like a great one to have and keep. I usually always pay off everything in full anyway, or I would have other credit cards I can leave balances on if need some more time to pay off

Also, I am curious how this works, as you said if you didnt pay it off in full by the due date. Does it automatically say you are 30 days late at that point and it hits your credit. I know it works different than a normal card

Hopefully more people chime in 

Like a credit card, an AMEX charge card has a monthly statement date and a payment due date.    

If there is a balance on the card, it will be reported on the statement.  That entire reported balance must be PIF by the next payment date, unless you have a charge that was converted to Pay-Over-Time. 

The current balance and the highest ever balance are reported, but as there is no fixed credit limit there won't be any listed on your credit report.   

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.