cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex have a history of honoring changes to signup bonuses?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Amex have a history of honoring changes to signup bonuses?

I applied for the SPG business card three days ago since it was going away and was approved with a signup bonus of 75K/3K. I just saw the new Bonvoy card they released to replace the SPG and it offers 100K/5K. On my online account the card is already listed as the Bonvoy instead of the SPG as it was listed when I was first approved a few days ago. I know some issuers often match signup bonuses like this and some issuers that often don't. What does Amex typically do?

4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does Amex have a history of honoring changes to signup bonuses?

Id imagine honoring your original SUB you agreed for upon applying. It was written that the Sub would be different once the actual new card takes affect so those wanting a bigger Sub should have waited imo.
Message 2 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

AmEx will not match any SUB promotions in the majority of cases, unfortunately. Whatever SUB promotion you had applied with is the one that is typically coded with your new account.

In some rare cases, there's been success with being able to match, but it's usually handled on a case-by-case basis (i.e. AmEx internal history, overall spend, etc.).
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
AmEx will not match any SUB promotions in the majority of cases, unfortunately. Whatever SUB promotion you had applied with is the one that is typically coded with your new account.

In some rare cases, there's been success with being able to match, but it's usually handled on a case-by-case basis (i.e. AmEx internal history, overall spend, etc.).

Considering this is my first card and I haven't even spend a dime with Amex in my entire life, I guess my chances aren't too good. Thank you. It's not a huge loss. I get to spend that extra 2K on a different card.

On a side note. I wonder which card I'll get in the mail. The SPG or the Bonvoy?

Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It helps if you're trying to match to a targeted offer you got days after applying.

They seem to have loosened up a bit but are still generally inflexible.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.