cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Barclay's have a blacklist? My credit score is 788, they rejected my app for a card

tag
helaurin
New Contributor

Does Barclay's have a blacklist? My credit score is 788, they rejected my app for a card

I had a negative experience with Barclay's back in late 2006.  (Long story, short version:  I applied for a card using my full mailing address. They shortened it and changed it, so they literally mailed the card and the first few statements to another address, and I didn't even know they'd approved me for the card until the 4th or 5th statement happened to make it to my house. I called them up, complained that they were using an incomplete/incorrect address, they refused to change anything, I paid the balance in full and they cancelled the line that same day). 

Now it's nearly 11 years later.  I applied last week for a particular retailer's card, and despite a 788 FICO score, was declined. I got a letter today stating they declined me without checking my credit, so I'm assuming they must have a blacklist of some sort.  (Also, I've moved since the original problem in 2006, so their problem being unable to use my full mailing address doesn't apply to my new address). 

I'm assuming they have a blacklist of some sort.  Anyone able to confirm this, and any idea how long they keep people on the blacklist?

Thanks!

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Barclay's have a blacklist? My credit score is 788, they rejected my app for a card

@helaurin wrote:

I had a negative experience with Barclay's back in late 2006.  (Long story, short version:  I applied for a card using my full mailing address. They shortened it and changed it, so they literally mailed the card and the first few statements to another address, and I didn't even know they'd approved me for the card until the 4th or 5th statement happened to make it to my house. I called them up, complained that they were using an incomplete/incorrect address, they refused to change anything, I paid the balance in full and they cancelled the line that same day). 

Now it's nearly 11 years later.  I applied last week for a particular retailer's card, and despite a 788 FICO score, was declined. I got a letter today stating they declined me without checking my credit, so I'm assuming they must have a blacklist of some sort.  (Also, I've moved since the original problem in 2006, so their problem being unable to use my full mailing address doesn't apply to my new address). 

I'm assuming they have a blacklist of some sort.  Anyone able to confirm this, and any idea how long they keep people on the blacklist?

Thanks!

Barclays like all CC companies definitely has a blacklist.  No idea how long their memory is but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that is much longer than 11 years.  I dealt with the same issue with Chase for 22 years.  At least the good thing with Barclays is that they don't pull a credit report.  Most others do and then decline you.  I think the first step in trying to get back with them is seeing if there is a way to pay off whatever debt you owe them.  

Message 2 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does Barclay's have a blacklist? My credit score is 788, they rejected my app for a card

He mentions on the post he paid the full balance before they closed the card so dunno why Barclays would deny him for that. There's blacklisting and then there's Barclays blacklisting apparently.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

He mentions on the post he paid the full balance before they closed the card so dunno why Barclays would deny him for that. There's blacklisting and then there's Barclays blacklisting apparently.

Ok I missed that but they aren't the only creditor that will still blacklist you after paying off the debt.  I had paid Chase off long before they finally approved me. Often you have to get a hold of the right person to overcome a computer rejection of your application l

Message 4 of 11
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

I have a question, OP...

How was there a balance due on the card if you never received it and didn't even know they'd approved it until 5 statements in? 

If you didn't make those charges, why did you pay it off?  Wouldn't that have been a case of identity theft and/or credit card fraud?  In which case, you shouldn't have been liable and it shouldn't have been held against you. 

Clearly I'm missing something here...there must be more to this story...?

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 5 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have the same question as LuckyBird.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 11
helaurin
New Contributor

The card had an annual fee, which was charged on the very first statement when they opened the account.  Unfortunately, since I never received the card or the first few statements, as Barclay's tacked on interest and late charges, the balance grew very quickly.  

Message 7 of 11
helaurin
New Contributor

The card had an annual fee that was charged on the very first statement.  Of course, since I hadn't gotten the card nor the first few statements, by the time a statement - by sheer luck - landed at my house, there was the original annual fee, then the second statement's late fee plus interest charges, and then the third statement's late fee plus interest charges... and the fourth statement's late fee and interest charges. 

So although no one ever actually used the card, I still was held responsible for the charges.  I did point out to Barclay's that I had never activated the card because I had never received it.  They did not care.  I owed the money, it was going to be on my credit report forever unless I paid the balance in full, I had them take the full amount out of my checking account over the phone - and then they cancelled the card. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There could have been a annual fee charged by Barclay's even if he didn't receive the card. They don't always waive the first year fee, so that would have left a balance, possible. Well he already answered before I could guess, LOL. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I've been rejected by Barclays in the past and the explanation was "I have sufficient credit"..this happened without a HP. May be that's the reason for you and blacklist is not? 

Did the denial letter give you a reason?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.