tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does CSP Worth It ?

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

OP--I'm in sort of the same boat right now. I've been going back and forth between CSP and Citi Premier. Both are $95 AF cards--however if redeeming for cash TYPs are only worth .5cpp--not 1cpp like URs. Plus I had CSP for 6 years up until August of this year when I PC'd it to CFU--and now with the 3% dining on FU I'm getting a lot more use out of it. CSP would probably end up back in the sock drawer for me after hitting the SUB spend just like my old one did unless they did a revamp before the end of 2 years.

If you're already in the Chase ecosystem, doesn't it make more sense to just stay in it? Having CFU is a bonus. 3% on dining when transferred is equivilent to 3.75 UR per $1 spent on it. That's a pretty good deal. If you look at the card in isolation, that deal doesn't look as sweet anymore but it's hard to beat as a combo. And if you throw in Chase Freedom (Flex) as well, that card's value goes up even more. Sure, the spend isn't really going on CSP (except for travel for that insurance when you need it) but the spend going through it is valuable. 

Not planning to leave the Chase ecosystem--just wondering if it's worth it to get a card back I really didn't have much use for the first time I had it just for the SUB. Right now I have roughly 100k URs--not 100% sure at this point how exactly they will be spent--but I always like to be able to have cash as an option--preferrably at 1cpp.

For your situation in particular the bolded answers your own question, doesn't it? As @UncleB said in your thread the Premier can get 1cpp if redeemed for gift cards which their selection is actually quite good, barring that you're better off with staying with Chase's URs if you want straight 1:1 redemptions as cash back. Unless you can see the earning potential of the Premier to be the better long term choice like @FinStar pointed out. This all assumes you're comfortable with gift card redemptions

Message 11 of 13
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

OP--I'm in sort of the same boat right now. I've been going back and forth between CSP and Citi Premier. Both are $95 AF cards--however if redeeming for cash TYPs are only worth .5cpp--not 1cpp like URs. Plus I had CSP for 6 years up until August of this year when I PC'd it to CFU--and now with the 3% dining on FU I'm getting a lot more use out of it. CSP would probably end up back in the sock drawer for me after hitting the SUB spend just like my old one did unless they did a revamp before the end of 2 years.

If you're already in the Chase ecosystem, doesn't it make more sense to just stay in it? Having CFU is a bonus. 3% on dining when transferred is equivilent to 3.75 UR per $1 spent on it. That's a pretty good deal. If you look at the card in isolation, that deal doesn't look as sweet anymore but it's hard to beat as a combo. And if you throw in Chase Freedom (Flex) as well, that card's value goes up even more. Sure, the spend isn't really going on CSP (except for travel for that insurance when you need it) but the spend going through it is valuable. 

Not planning to leave the Chase ecosystem--just wondering if it's worth it to get a card back I really didn't have much use for the first time I had it just for the SUB. Right now I have roughly 100k URs--not 100% sure at this point how exactly they will be spent--but I always like to be able to have cash as an option--preferrably at 1cpp.

For your situation in particular the bolded answers your own question, doesn't it? As @UncleB said in your thread the Premier can get 1cpp if redeemed for gift cards which their selection is actually quite good, barring that you're better off with staying with Chase's URs if you want straight 1:1 redemptions as cash back. Unless you can see the earning potential of the Premier to be the better long term choice like @FinStar pointed out. This all assumes you're comfortable with gift card redemptions

Didn't realize I had replies on that thread--last time I checked there weren't any--that's why I chose to comment over here. I'm good with redeeming for gift cards at 1:1 if I can't have the full 1:1 in cash. Nothing wrong with a free meal at Red Lobster--LOL. The way it looks right now the earning potential of the Premier is slightly better than the CSP and the CFU with the 3x in more categories.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 12 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

I'm good with redeeming for gift cards at 1:1 if I can't have the full 1:1 in cash. Nothing wrong with a free meal at Red Lobster--LOL. The way it looks right now the earning potential of the Premier is slightly better than the CSP and the CFU with the 3x in more categories.

Gift cards are slightly less valuable than cash for (at least) 2 reasons

1) Obviously, limited.   You can  get gift cards for only some of the purchases you may want to make.

2) Even if you redeem to get a giftcard for MyVeryBestFaveStoreEverInc, you lose out on whatever rewards you would get using a credit card for the purchase.   So with a $100 gift card, $100 of stuff uses up the gift card.   If I buy $100 of stuff with a flat 2% card, I get $2 back

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.