cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does CapOne SavorOne give instant number upon approval?

tag
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

Does CapOne SavorOne give instant number upon approval?

I can't find a solid yes or no on this. Long story short, my bf's car broke down today and he'll need to have some significant work done on it next week. He has great credit and hasn't opened a new card in years. I thought to suggest for him to open a WF Active Cash to take advantage of their welcome bonus but I learned from reading WF does not give instant numbers upon approval and I suspect the card wouldn't arrive on time.

The CapOne SavorOne also has a $200 welcome bonus when you spend $500 in the first three months. However, I can't find with certainity if they would give an automatic number after approval. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does CapOne SavorOne give instant number upon approval?

Seems to be YMMV on if/when Capital One gives out instant card numbers upon approval

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/list-of-credit-cards-that-issue-an-instant-card-number/#Capital_One

Gist seems to be if you download the app and login to your account you may get access to a virtual card number that you can use right away until the new card arrives via mail. But again this is not a guarantee so if the goal is to use it for car repairs there's no sure way to know if he will have access to the credit card number if/when he gets approved

The only option I know for sure you can get a new approval credit card expedited is with Chase. Assuming he has no previous delinquencies with them that would prohibit an approval he can apply for a similar $200 bonus for $500 spend in the Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex and if approved immediately call customer service (who may need to transfer you to new accounts) and ask them to expedite the card. They don't charge anything for the service either and your boyfriend would get the card in 1-2 business days

Another option is American Express. Upon approval more often than not upon approval (YMMV) they ask you if you want an instant card number to work with and provide the number, expiration date and CID so you can make purchases right away while the card is on its way. It is a one time thing so taking a picture/screenshot or writing it down before the time limit is up is pretty important. Only issues I see with this is depending on where your boyfriend goes to get it fix you gotta make sure they take AMEX; also, you won't get access to full credit line til you receive and activate your new card. So if the charges are gonna be large and the approval amount isn't enough then that would definitely not be good. As for which one to target if so depends on what kind of card he would for long term or if signup bonus is priority with emphasis on cash back

Message 2 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I don't believe so. They do offer virtual card numbers for online purchases, but even that I believe doesn't work until you have and activate your physical card.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 11
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Seems to be YMMV on if/when Capital One gives out instant card numbers upon approval

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/list-of-credit-cards-that-issue-an-instant-card-number/#Capital_One

Gist seems to be if you download the app and login to your account you may get access to a virtual card number that you can use right away until the new card arrives via mail. But again this is not a guarantee so if the goal is to use it for car repairs there's no sure way to know if he will have access to the credit card number if/when he gets approved

The only option I know for sure you can get a new approval credit card expedited is with Chase. Assuming he has no previous delinquencies with them that would prohibit an approval he can apply for a similar $200 bonus for $500 spend in the Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex and if approved immediately call customer service (who may need to transfer you to new accounts) and ask them to expedite the card. They don't charge anything for the service either and your boyfriend would get the card in 1-2 business days

Another option is American Express. Upon approval more often than not upon approval (YMMV) they ask you if you want an instant card number to work with and provide the number, expiration date and CID so you can make purchases right away while the card is on its way. It is a one time thing so taking a picture/screenshot or writing it down before the time limit is up is pretty important. Only issues I see with this is depending on where your boyfriend goes to get it fix you gotta make sure they take AMEX; also, you won't get access to full credit line til you receive and activate your new card. So if the charges are gonna be large and the approval amount isn't enough then that would definitely not be good. As for which one to target if so depends on what kind of card he would for long term or if signup bonus is priority with emphasis on cash back

Definitely seems to be a ymmv thing with CapOne. I wish I could figure out the rhyme and reason for why some do and some don't. 

Message 4 of 11
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@KillingThemGingerly, not exactly an answer to your question, but I got my card number immediately upon opening up my Chase card.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 11
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

I have 3 different CapOne cards (QS, Savor One, and Walmart Rewards) and I didn't have access to any of the numbers, physical or otherwise, until I received the physical cards in the mail. And then once you activate the cards, only then will you get access to virtual card number(s).

You can see the accounts if you login to your CapOne account, but you can't do anything with them until you get the physical card.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 6 of 11
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I don't believe so. They do offer virtual card numbers for online purchases, but even that I believe doesn't work until you have and activate your physical card.

Not true. I got approved a few hours ago for the Savor One and within 15 minutes the virtual card was available on the app. I entered it in the Uber and Lyft and Doordash and Grubhub apps no problem and it let's me use it. 

My physical card won't come for 7-10 days.

Message 7 of 11
FicoMike0
Regular Contributor

I just got the us bank connect card. It has a bonus of $500 for $2000 spend in 120 days.  They do give immediate virtual card, but only allowed 25% of the credit limit until I got the card and activated it.  Might help.

Message 8 of 11
FicoMike0
Regular Contributor

He might not want the card long term, I may ask to switch to another card, after I collect the bonus😊😊. They also have a shoppers card, with $250 sub for $2000 spend in 120 days and cash+ with $200 sub for $1000 in 120 days. I would expect they all have the same virtual card deal. I went for the big sub!

Message 9 of 11
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9I can verify the virtual number the app gives you works before the card is received and activated.  For my new Savor that I was approved for on Friday night (4/12) I've already got multiple posted transactions and my card was just shipped out today(err well yesterday for me now).  I do find it odd that on the desktop site I can't acess a virtual card number for it, only on my existing cards. It says each one is only good for one retailer, but the app will let you use a virtual number for mulitple retailers. 

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.