cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Capital One report the last statement balance or current balance?

tag
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Does Capital One report the last statement balance or current balance?

I have a capital one card, that I expect to probably report tomorrow for the first time as that will be 3 days after my second statement date. Does it report the balance on the statement date or the current balance? The statement balance was pretty small about 3%, but I've put some charges on it now which brings it up to about 25%. I'm hoping this card gives me a decent bump, so I'll make a payment today but the higher items are still showing pending, so I can't pay any more than the 3% right now until the charges get out of pending.

Just curious

tia

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Capital One report the last statement balance or current balance?

They report statement balance

Message 2 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Just as a point of information, Capital One allows you to make payments of up to 10% over your current balance. Doing that can occasionally make a worthwhile dent in pending or upcoming charges.

Message 3 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

What I use to do when I actually cared about utilization and reporting is I'd push a payment that was larger than current and pending charges via bill pay.  I did this so I didn't have to worry about that lingering pending charge posting on the night that the cycle ends. 

Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@dynamicvb wrote:

I have a capital one card, that I expect to probably report tomorrow for the first time as that will be 3 days after my second statement date. Does it report the balance on the statement date or the current balance? The statement balance was pretty small about 3%, but I've put some charges on it now which brings it up to about 25%. I'm hoping this card gives me a decent bump, so I'll make a payment today but the higher items are still showing pending, so I can't pay any more than the 3% right now until the charges get out of pending.

Just curious

tia

Just a word of caution: unless the card has drastically reduced your overall utilization or some other very significant scoring factor (such as a complete lack of other lines), adding a new revolving tradeline seldom results in immediate FICO credit score gains and can often cause a short-term dip in scores which rebound quickly as the account ages.

Message 5 of 7
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@dynamicvb 

Just a word of caution: unless the card has drastically reduced your overall utilization or some other very significant scoring factor (such as a complete lack of other lines), adding a new revolving tradeline seldom results in immediate FICO credit score gains and can often cause a short-term dip in scores which rebound quickly as the account ages.

I'm fairly certain there will be a bump. This is the first revolving credit I've had in years and that was something all the CRA's are reporting as hurting my score. My wife was in the same boat with essentially the same profile as me. She has also gotten another card and once it reported she saw 53 points on EX Fico 8 and I got 17 as an AU on her card. I've got a fairly old file, so this should not take down the AAoA very much. Might move it down to 9-10 years. The only other thing active on my reports right now is my student loans, all the other accounts on there are closed.

Current 5/28/20:

Next Goal all over 800
Message 6 of 7
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Well, the account is not showing yet, but EX is now showing 673 for a 38 point jump on the new card. At least I think that is what caused it. Whoop Whoop, I'll take it.

Current 5/28/20:

Next Goal all over 800
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.