cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Disco Really Care, One Way or The Other?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Disco Really Care, One Way or The Other?

I just hit the button again yesterday while reading this thread and was denied.. I don't understand what it is that they're looking for to get approved?! Over the last 6 months I paid the card down from over $8k/$12k all the way down to a 0 balance last month. My TU FICO 8 score is 749 according to their scorecard. My overall utilization has gone from well over 45% down to 24%. I just refinanced my mortgage and am about to sign on a refi for my auto loan today or Monday, but those obviously haven't hit my credit reports yet. These 2 actions alone should drop my DTI by a solid 17%. I planned to transfer my Citi balance over to my Discover card and had hoped that I might be able to get an increase beforehand, but alas, no luck. Guess I'll try again in a few months after the dust settles?

Message 51 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I actually carried some decent balances on mine for most of its life - mostly balance transfers and 0% purchase promos, even running up to 75% utilization at times.

A lot of my CLI’s came after just processing BTs OR after I just paid the card to $0 after having a balance for a while. Not sure if that has any bearing on my increases or not . . .

Paying off a large balance on a 0 has worked for me. Still waiting for WF to bump me after PIF a maxed out card at 0%.

Message 52 of 64
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just hit the button again yesterday while reading this thread and was denied.. I don't understand what it is that they're looking for to get approved?! Over the last 6 months I paid the card down from over $8k/$12k all the way down to a 0 balance last month. My TU FICO 8 score is 749 according to their scorecard. My overall utilization has gone from well over 45% down to 24%. I just refinanced my mortgage and am about to sign on a refi for my auto loan today or Monday, but those obviously haven't hit my credit reports yet. These 2 actions alone should drop my DTI by a solid 17%. I planned to transfer my Citi balance over to my Discover card and had hoped that I might be able to get an increase beforehand, but alas, no luck. Guess I'll try again in a few months after the dust settles?

Did my very first button hit today. Waited 3 months after getting the card. I was also denied. Will be waiting, too. The only number I can change for the questions in the meantime is savings so maybe that will help in the future but who knows.

Message 53 of 64
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Creditsen wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did my very first button hit today. Waited 3 months after getting the card. I was also denied. Will be waiting, too. The only number I can change for the questions in the meantime is savings so maybe that will help in the future but who knows.

In my experience, Disco used to give CLI's rather frequently on request.  The past two years or so, they seem to have shifted to wanting you to USE your card before they give a CLI.  And it seems to be more than for a pack of gum each month.  Smiley Happy

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 54 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

@Creditsen wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In my experience, Disco used to give CLI's rather frequently on request.  The past two years or so, they seem to have shifted to wanting you to USE your card before they give a CLI.  And it seems to be more than for a pack of gum each month.  Smiley Happy

I'm willing to bet that they might also look at categories you spend too. If you use the card ONLY for the 5% categories, they might not want to give you a CLI so easily.

Message 55 of 64
grower1
Frequent Contributor

I don't try too often, but mainly because I forget to do so. I typically spend about $7 a month on this card, it's attached to my iTunes Account. I've had about 3 unsuccessful attempts for CLI during the life of this card. Since there are no major changes to my spending on this card or my scores I don't know what drives the approval/denial. It's always been very small spend> pay> let report at zero> rinse and repeat.

Discover Timeline:

Opened on April 25th, 2018 $5000 

Credit Limit Increase on July 9th 2018 +1,500 = $6500

Credit Limit Increase on October 7th 2018 +3,000 = $9500

Credit Limit Increase on November 25th 2018 +200 = $9700

Credit Limit  Increase on November 25th 2018 +50 = $9750 (Double Dip)

Credit Limit  Increase on August 27th 2019 +2950 = $12,700

Credit Limit Increase on October 23rd 2019 +5,500 = $18,200

Credit Limit Increase on October 23rd 2019 +1,000 = $19,200 (Double Dip)

Message 56 of 64
Remedios
Credit Mentor

My last CLI was $7000.00. It happened after months of non use, unless you count paying at Chipotle once (wrong card Smiley Frustrated) as a use

Discover operates on a quantum level. There is a logic there, but it's nearly impossible to see, probably because parameters change too frequently to be able to discern with a small sample group, and by the time they are a bit more obvious, poof they go. 

Things work for a while, they stop working, then something else works. Or, different things will work for different profiles. Or, some things will work slowly for certain profiles. 

One thing is for sure (as sure as one can be) Discover likes middle of the road. Not too little credit, not too much. Not too high lines, not too low. Either side of the bell curve is not optimal. For now. That's a subject to change, too. 

🤷‍♀️

Message 57 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grower1 wrote:

I don't try too often, but mainly because I forget to do so. I typically spend about $7 a month on this card, it's attached to my iTunes Account. I've had about 3 unsuccessful attempts for CLI during the life of this card. Since there are no major changes to my spending on this card or my scores I don't know what drives the approval/denial. It's always been very small spend> pay> let report at zero> rinse and repeat.

Discover Timeline:

So were each one of these taking the default CLI, or did you go the path of requesting higher than the default, with getting a HP if they required one?

Message 58 of 64
grower1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@grower1 wrote:

Discover Timeline:

So were each one of these taking the default CLI, or did you go the path of requesting higher than the default, with getting a HP if they required one?

All were SPs and all were the default amount offered, except the 2 on the list that were double dips. With those two I called in to request more, but it was still a soft pull. Although I've heard of it, I've never personally experienced the hard pull option. 

Message 59 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grower1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@grower1 wrote:

Discover Timeline:

All were SPs and all were the default amount offered, except the 2 on the list that were double dips. With those two I called in to request more, but it was still a soft pull. Although I've heard of it, I've never personally experienced the hard pull option. 

I may try to bump mine every few months, just to get my CLs to where I can charge $5K in a month and stay under 2% total utl.

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.