cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Discover Approve people with bankruptcy or do they blacklist for 10 years?

tag
mikey4833
Valued Member

Does Discover Approve people with bankruptcy or do they blacklist for 10 years?

I applied for a Discover Card back in 2010 and got declined and got approved for the co-branded HSBC now Cap 1 Discover Card.. Its been 2 years and I applied for the Discover IT card and my Fico scores are 718 Transunion 673 Experian and Equifax 661. Myfico customer service said my credit is considered good to most lenders.

But despite the decent Fico scores I have I was declined after I cleaned up my credit report paid off 2 charge offs they told me to do this in January of this year and they could reconsider me. Well I tried to get reconsidered for Discover IT and they same a Big fat No.. I asked the new accounts dept do they black list people and he wouldn't answer my question. He said you can retry in 45 days. Like I want anothert hard pull on equifax credit report. My Fico was 661 when they pulled my credit and sole decline reason.. Bankruptcy... The rep wouldn't tell me if there is a set time frame for when they don't no longer count bankruptcy or if they blacklist bankruptcy persons. 

Fico told me they don't count bankruptcy against your Fico score after 4 years if that rep was correct. She said no more points are really gained when its removed.

I just would like to ditch this fake co branded HSBC now Cap 1 Direct Rewards Discover Card and get the real thing the Discover IT. The minimum credit line is $500 and APR goes up into the 20% category there should be no reason why they declined me. I wonder if the other people are telling the truth on facebook when they told me they got reconsidered and approved with a low credit line. Chase bank reconsidered me and I filed bankruptcy on them $27k but I NEVER filed on Discover Card EVER. I had a $6k limit with them in 2001-2006.

Starting Score: TU:599 EXP: 596 EQ: 595 Starting Year 2009
Current Score: TU:715 (685 FAKO) EXP:647 (673 FAKO) EQX: 637 (FAKO 615) - All on 04/24/13 In the garden until 05/2014 because too many inq and low AAoA 1.4 mo. My BK chap 7 will be 4 yrs old July 2013
Goal Score: 760+ across the board by next year July 2014 5 yrs after BK

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does Discover Approve people with bankruptcy or do they blacklist for 10 years?

Just got approved for IT card $3500 and have BK about 9 yrs old.

Never had Discover before.

Message 2 of 13
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Does Discover Approve people with bankruptcy or do they blacklist for 10 years?

My BK7 is a little over 6-yrs old, and I was approved in March.  My rcord since BK filing has been perfect. 

You may want to wait a little while to give the recently cleaned up accts a chance to fade into the background.  The older the negatives - the better your position.

Message 3 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mikey4833 wrote:

I applied for a Discover Card back in 2010 and got declined and got approved for the co-branded HSBC now Cap 1 Discover Card.. Its been 2 years and I applied for the Discover IT card and my Fico scores are 718 Transunion 673 Experian and Equifax 661. Myfico customer service said my credit is considered good to most lenders.

But despite the decent Fico scores I have I was declined after I cleaned up my credit report paid off 2 charge offs they told me to do this in January of this year and they could reconsider me. Well I tried to get reconsidered for Discover IT and they same a Big fat No.. I asked the new accounts dept do they black list people and he wouldn't answer my question. He said you can retry in 45 days. Like I want anothert hard pull on equifax credit report. My Fico was 661 when they pulled my credit and sole decline reason.. Bankruptcy... The rep wouldn't tell me if there is a set time frame for when they don't no longer count bankruptcy or if they blacklist bankruptcy persons. 

Fico told me they don't count bankruptcy against your Fico score after 4 years if that rep was correct. She said no more points are really gained when its removed.

I just would like to ditch this fake co branded HSBC now Cap 1 Direct Rewards Discover Card and get the real thing the Discover IT. The minimum credit line is $500 and APR goes up into the 20% category there should be no reason why they declined me. I wonder if the other people are telling the truth on facebook when they told me they got reconsidered and approved with a low credit line. Chase bank reconsidered me and I filed bankruptcy on them $27k but I NEVER filed on Discover Card EVER. I had a $6k limit with them in 2001-2006.

How old is your BK?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 13
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Discover approved me for the Discover More 13 months after filing (11 mo after discharge).  I applied online for a 0%-for X mos + $N cashback after spending X (don't remember the specific details) and their online system counter offered me $1000 @ 3.99% for 6mo w/ no bonus cash.

I took it.  About 6mo later I apped online for a CLI.  It was instantly declined, but they called me a couple weeks later, offered $2500 after I answered some Q's about income and I accepted.

Converted to Discover IT in January/February.  Asked rep for a CLI at that time, too... denied.  No big deal, though my Discover is now my lowest-limit card. Smiley Happy

-SM

P.S.  Whoever told you that BK didn't effect your score after 4 years is an idiot.  This is an out-an-out fallicy.  As long as its there, it effects your scores.  However,when being manually reviewed scores don't matter at all (different topic for a different day).  In those cases, it's very likely that there are certain banks that won't count a BK against you after 4 years.  But that has nothing to do with your score.  A perfect example is that a 750 with a 6 year BK7 will be denied an Amex.  Once the BK is 8+years, Amex will take you (assuming you didn't burn them). 

An after thought to this, a CH13 with a 3 year repayment plan will fall off your reports 4 years post discharge (7 years post filing)... in that case, yeah, a BK wouldn't effect your scores 4 years after discharge, but that's the only way.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE ENTIRELY:

Mind PM'ing me the details about getting approved on recon for Chase with your BK still showing (and including them)?  <-- I dont' want to hijack the thread, but I'm very curious.

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 5 of 13
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

I'm 4 years out of BK and was approved last month.
Message 6 of 13
mikey4833
Valued Member

@LS2982 wrote:

@mikey4833 wrote:

How old is your BK?

My BK is nearly 4 years old in June it will be 4 yrs.

Starting Score: TU:599 EXP: 596 EQ: 595 Starting Year 2009
Current Score: TU:715 (685 FAKO) EXP:647 (673 FAKO) EQX: 637 (FAKO 615) - All on 04/24/13 In the garden until 05/2014 because too many inq and low AAoA 1.4 mo. My BK chap 7 will be 4 yrs old July 2013
Goal Score: 760+ across the board by next year July 2014 5 yrs after BK

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

In your case I think your bk is still new 661 is a good score but taking it into consideration with your recent bk ( yes less than 4 yrs) then you are still rebuilding. I was approved in Jan with an 8 yrs old Ch 13 reporting. Three months prior I applied and was declined due to bk- all my rev credit was a month old.

What changed in 3 mos? More time on my rev credit and a higher FICO 707 v 697
Message 8 of 13
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

My BK is 9.5 years old and I was approved for the Discover It last Friday. The CSR relayed that he saw it on my reports but that it was so old it didn't even factor into the decision.

On the flip side, I was barely approved for the Chase Freedom in Jan. I had to go through a 3 week long recon process and during which, Chase was sending me "denial due to BK" letters. But I was finally approved for $1000 CL.

I KNOW the BK is still hurting my scores. I can't wait for it to be gone in August! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 9 of 13
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

My bk was just a few months shy of 6 years when they approved me in December.  They only gave me a $1K limit which is extremely low compared to my other cards.  Apparently they don't care...LOL!  But I will just use it for the rotating categories that appeal to me.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.