Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Discover still counter w/ secured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Discover still counter w/ secured?

Since you can now apply for the secured directly, does anyone know if they'll still counter with the secured card if you don't qualify for the unsecured?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Discover still counter w/ secured?

I apped for the unsecured Discover IT and was denied. I was not offered the secured at the time. I called recon to see if they would offer the secured on the same HP. The CSR told me I would have to app seperately for the secured, so I went online and apped directly for the secured and was approved. Now I am waiting for 1 year to roll around so I can hopefully graduate.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it a single hard pull or one for each app? Thanks so much for the info!

Message 3 of 11
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Just an FYI the way they used to counter was if you applied for the student it and were declined. I never heard of anyone getting a counter after being declined for the standard it.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply over the phone if you do. They will pass you from one CSR to another and go over any questionable items on your CR. My experience in 2012. Approved over the phone.
Message 5 of 11
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
Just an FYI the way they used to counter was if you applied for the student it and were declined. I never heard of anyone getting a counter after being declined for the standard it.

Actually when I applied for a Discover IT card last year, I was declined and was offered the secured card. I did not apply for a Student card. I accepted the offer and my ccard just graduated this month. Also when I applied, they were not offering the secured card on their site yet.

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CountryLivin wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

Actually when I applied for a Discover IT card last year, I was declined and was offered the secured card. I did not apply for a Student card. I accepted the offer and my ccard just graduated this month. Also when I applied, they were not offering the secured card on their site yet.

That may have changed since I think the full secured product (able to apply for it directly) was only released mid-Januaryish.  Now it might be utterly seperate, though BOFA traditionally has had their partially secured card so Discover might still be doing something similar.

        
Message 7 of 11
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

If you do both apps the same day maybe it's only one hard pull. Why not apply for unsecured and see what happens. After reading tbis thread, I applied expecting the secured counter, and got a counter for diff terms 10.99% instead of 0% by, but I was approved. If you're going to take the hp for secured, why not try unsecured first since that will grow faster and saves upfront $$$.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for the DiscoverIT card about 6 months ago, I was declined but offered the secured card instead. I didn't accept it though. I applied again the other day and I was approved for an unsecured it card. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Was it a single hard pull or one for each app? Thanks so much for the info!

The CSR told me it would be two HP's but I haven't looked at my report to confirm. The two HP's were worth it to me. I'm rebuilding and won't be taking any more HP's while I let the cards I got over the past few months age and I work on getting a CO deleted. I just want to get my file on the up and up so Discover will graduate my card.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.