cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does GE limit your CL with every card you apply for?

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Does GE limit your CL with every card you apply for?

I know the title is awkward, I had some trouble finding a better way to word it lol.  I wanted to know if everytime you apply and get approved for a GE card, if they "keep an eye" on your limits for your other GE cards?  Because I was approved for an AE Visa for $2300 about two months ago, and about a month ago, I applied for the Walmart CC, and I was only granted the store card with a $400 limit..

For one, I'm not sure why I wasn't given the Walmart Discover and secondly, I'm not sure how I went from a $2300 limit to a $400 limit from the same bank lol.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does GE limit your CL with every card you apply for?

AFAIK, each store is different. I have 5 GE cards and received different CL's on each. Maybe each store has different methods when it comes to granting CLI's. I know I find that to be the case. I make 1 phone call to Credit Solutions and they give me increases all over the place. It doesn't seem to matter whether its heavy usage, carrying a bal or PIF.

Hope this helps.
Message 2 of 12
creditYum
Established Member

I receieved a 5k CL from Jared, and a week later received a 600 CL from Walmart, as well as a 600 CL from Banana Republic. I think it just depends on the store and how they like to do it.

Message 3 of 12
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

I think it has more to do with the timing of the applications.

Once you let a card report, it can decrease your score. It can possibly make the lender feel that you're over extended, hence the low limits. 

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 4 of 12
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Walmart cards usually start with lower limits, but you can slowly and steadily get CLI's to get limit increased, or get a quxker increase by callinf credit solutions. Mine started at 600 and is now up to 7.5k. I never requested a increase for this card through credit solutions, just took the increases as they gave them to me on the website.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 5 of 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I've got an Amazon at $10k and a Lowes at $10k.  They just gave me a Walmart Discover at $1k, yeah it doesn't make any sense.  Upon activation I'm going for $5k and then $10k at the six month mark.

In general, GE has an overall exposure to an individual but not so much within each card is my understanding with Care Credit being an exception.  Different cards can have different approval and initial CL criteria but for CLi's I don't believe it's that different between the cards, again with Care Credit being the exception. 

Message 6 of 12
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the replies.  After I got my card, I even called Credit Solutions like three different times and not once were they able to increase my limit.  But since it's only the store card, I guess I really don't care.  If it were the Discover on the other hand, then I'd probably still be calling to this day lol.

And btw, I've been extremely bored since classes ended on Tuesday, and out of pure boredom and seeing that someone got approved for a 2k Chase Amazon, I applied for it and got approved, and my email and on the approval page, it said I was granted a temporary credit limit only for $500.  But then I called the app status number and talked to a representative who said that was my limit.  Should I call back again and ask?

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

Message 7 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your approval! Are you saying the temp is your CL or the $2k?
Message 8 of 12
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Oh nooo, haha. The temp was only $500 -_- but the lady I spoke to said that is my permanent CL.

I'll give them a call later on and have them put a request for someone to manually review my app with hopes of a higher CL. (1.5 hopefully, maybe 1k is more realistic though).

I was supposed to be in the garden so I'm really hoping I can get it.  

Message 9 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Oh nooo, haha. The temp was only $500 -_- but the lady I spoke to said that is my permanent CL.

I'll give them a call later on and have them put a request for someone to manually review my app with hopes of a higher CL. (1.5 hopefully, maybe 1k is more realistic though).

I was supposed to be in the garden so I'm really hoping I can get it.  

Just wait, I swear these people don't know how the bank they work at gives out CL's.

My mom got an instant temp line of $400 on Zappos Visa and when the card came it was $9k.

A business credit analyst a month or so later said if she had looked at that app for the personal card she would have denied it, she NEVER would have opened it, let alone give it $9k which I thought was insanely rude for her to state such a thing... I hate chase but they have so many cards I seem to keep ending up doing business with them!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.