Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Macy's blacklist?

tag
Sean28
Valued Member

Does Macy's blacklist?

I had an old Kaufmann's card back in late 90's that I defaulted on. My scores are good now and I like Macy's and do shop there from time to time. They aquired Kaufmann's (approx 3 years ago). I've been reading about the generous limits they have been dishing out for the holiday season.  Do you think I have a shot? Anyone know who they pull? In PA
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Sean28
Valued Member

Re: Does Macy's blacklist?

Adding my scores

TU 689

EQ 757

EX 744 (Fako)

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Given how long ago it was that you originally had an account (with Kaufmann's, correct?) and that the Macy's card likely has a different issuer than the Kaufmann card did, I'd say you have a pretty good shot.  If you happen to know who issued Kaufmann's, that would help.  I've never heard of them before so I'm not help there but I believe Macy's is issued by Department Stores bank.  The same issuer as Bloomingdales.  Even if it turns out to be the same issuer, I still think you could very likely get approved.  I had a CO from Marshall Fields back in 2001 and was able to get a Target Red Card this year and they were the very same issuer.  Target sold off Marshall Fields to Macys in fact.  Good luck to you if you decide to go for it and keep us posted!

-Mizu

Message 3 of 15
Sean28
Valued Member

Thanks Mizu. I'll send an update when I app
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer to your question is YES they blacklist, Macy's, Kaufmans, Dillards,Marshall Fields, Lazarus, Bloomingdales etc.are all under the same roof "Federated Department Stores" and if you default on one card then try to get another you are still in their databases even if it falls off your reports. If you don't believe me just apply and I can almost certainly guarantee you will be denied and they will tell you the reason in their letter to you about the prior account.

Call them and they will tell you the same thing. I am listing the number for you to call and tell them you have an old account that you wish to make good now that your situation has changed they will accept your payment and open up a new account right then and there. You won't get the old number with the history it will be a new account with a new number 1-800-627-2909 Just some good advice from someone who has gone through it already.

Good Luck

Message 5 of 15
Sean28
Valued Member

Thanks JoJo. I kinda had a feeling they wouldn't accept me back. After I posted I read a thread about this happening to someone who had a Dilliards account. Whatever the amount I owed them (probaly $1200 or so) is not worth making right with them to get a CC. Plenty of others out there I like...Kohls, JCPenny's, Nordstrom's. Thanks for the advice.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's has account info going back literally decades.  Longer than most any other company, with a possible exceptions being AMEX.

There have been reported cases of somebody slipping back in after a BK or CO.  But there have been more cases reported where Macy's won't allow for it, but might allow for you to PIF the old debt and then give you a new account equal to the PIF amount.

If you happen to sneak in....congrats.  If not and you still are interested you might contact them about their re-instatement program (need to speak to recovery department).

Good luck.

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sean28 wrote:

Thanks JoJo. I kinda had a feeling they wouldn't accept me back. After I posted I read a thread about this happening to someone who had a Dilliards account. Whatever the amount I owed them (probaly $1200 or so) is not worth making right with them to get a CC. Plenty of others out there I like...Kohls, JCPenny's, Nordstrom's. Thanks for the advice.

Well that will depend on you Sean if you want too do business with them again but if I could make them right and they would open a new account for me with the same limit of $1200 and get back in good standing with them because Macy's is a good company and they give very nice CLI's every few month's then why not. So you might want to consider making it right plus you will know in your heart of hearts that you didn't flake out on a bill when you knew you might have owed the money. It's always a good feeling knowing you don't owe anyone anything.

Just a few of my thoughts on this......Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
Sean28
Valued Member

Yes, I understand your point of view JoJo, however I've had quite a few other debts that I owned up to for a lot more money and I dont want the Macy's card that bad to throw them $1200 that could be spend elsewhere but I do appreciate your opinion.
Message 9 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The answer to your question is YES they blacklist, Macy's, Kaufmans, Dillards,Marshall Fields, Lazarus, Bloomingdales etc.are all under the same roof "Federated Department Stores" and if you default on one card then try to get another you are still in their databases even if it falls off your reports. If you don't believe me just apply and I can almost certainly guarantee you will be denied and they will tell you the reason in their letter to you about the prior account.

Call them and they will tell you the same thing. I am listing the number for you to call and tell them you have an old account that you wish to make good now that your situation has changed they will accept your payment and open up a new account right then and there. You won't get the old number with the history it will be a new account with a new number 1-800-627-2909 Just some good advice from someone who has gone through it already.

Good Luck

It's DSNB = Department Stores National Bank and they issue Macy's and Bloomingdale's cards. The accounts are administered by DSNB but actually owned by Citi.

Dillard's is not part of this. Dillard's cards are issued by GEMB.

Federated Department Stores is now know as Macy's Department Stores and Dillard's has never been a part of FDS or Macy's.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 11-26-2009 12:36 AM
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.