Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Penfed balance chase?

tag
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

Does Penfed balance chase?

I want to take advantage of the blank check 18 month .99% BT to pay off an emergency I charged elsewhere. 

This would make my Penfed util around 47%, but would be under 30% in like 3 months. I don't want to be balance chased, and my util would be around 9% overall, since most cards don't report a balance and the other ones are all under 10% util. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Does Penfed balance chase?

BT from CU is pretty safe, provided you're being responsible. CU don't typically balance chase like traditional lenders.

Message 2 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

I want to take advantage of the blank check 18 month .99% BT to pay off an emergency I charged elsewhere. 

This would make my Penfed util around 47%, but would be under 30% in like 3 months. I don't want to be balance chased, and my util would be around 9% overall, since most cards don't report a balance and the other ones are all under 10% util. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

you should be ok. Those numbers arent crazy high and ive yet to read a Penfed bc. Imho, do whats best for you, lenders will thrive no matter what but our opportunities are not infinite. 

Message 3 of 20
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both for your insight!

I really wanted to do a slightly bigger BT, but I don't want to go over the 48.5% threshold! Or spook PenFed. 

Message 4 of 20
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

I really wanted to do a slightly bigger BT, but I don't want to go over the 48.5% threshold! Or spook PenFed. 

I took both of my PenFed CC's to 68% with blank check BTs and have had no problems.

Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 5 of 20
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

I took both of my PenFed CC's to 68% with blank check BTs and have had no problems.

Good luck!

Oh really? Good to know! I'm still deciding...the blank check offers don't come around all the time (for me). I have until 10/31 to respond though!

Message 6 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

I took my PSECU visa up to 93% to survive Covid, and so far so good so long as you make your payments.  In a time when credit is hard to come by if you have good offers such as 0% or even bt options,  use them to help yourself in anyway you can as for what we have seen, whats availble today, may not be there tomorrow. 

Message 7 of 20
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

You're welcome and good luck. You'll do just fine!

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 20
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

No, they don't.  I was at 28k+ of a 30k limit PF card a while back ago, and they never blinked.  Depending on your other cards, though, it may not be PenFed you have to worry about.  Other issuers you have may see your increased utilization on the PenFed account and act on it. Still, if it's saving you money, is it BFD if they do?  Only you can answer that.

Message 9 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

Don't worry about scaring them just because you did a balance transfer equalling more than 50% of your credit limit.    What you do want to do is not scare them during the repayment period. 

The one thing I absolutely suggest is that you pay off the balance much like it were an installment loan i.e. pay back at least 6% of the original balance every month, and not employ a strategy like planning on making mininum or close to mininum payments for 17 months with a single large balloon payment in month 18.    

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.