cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does This Make Me a Credit Card Whore?

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Does This Make Me a Credit Card Whore?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not my place to judge whether you're a whore or notSmiley Happy

Those cash-back checking account offers are more trouble than they're worth for me because I have payroll direct deposit and moving that around would create havoc in my life.  I'd love the $200, but just can't upturn the apple cart for it.

Why do you have to change your direct deposit to take advantage of a cash back checking account offer?  Don't most just require that you open an account?   Even if they require some form of DD,  I'm pretty sure most banks will count an ACH transfer as a direct deposit.

ACH transfers don't always code as DD, and it varies from bank to bank. For example, ACH transfers from BoA or Capital One 360 (my current banks) to Chase do not trigger as DD, but ACH transfers from other banks like Wells Fargo do. This means that I would need to update my DD infomation with my payroll friends, meeting the $500 a month minimum requirement. 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not my place to judge whether you're a whore or notSmiley Happy

Those cash-back checking account offers are more trouble than they're worth for me because I have payroll direct deposit and moving that around would create havoc in my life.  I'd love the $200, but just can't upturn the apple cart for it.

Why do you have to change your direct deposit to take advantage of a cash back checking account offer?  Don't most just require that you open an account?   Even if they require some form of DD,  I'm pretty sure most banks will count an ACH transfer as a direct deposit.

ACH transfers don't always code as DD, and it varies from bank to bank. For example, ACH transfers from BoA or Capital One 360 (my current banks) to Chase do not trigger as DD, but ACH transfers from other banks like Wells Fargo do. This means that I would need to update my DD infomation with my payroll friends, meeting the $500 a month minimum requirement. 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/

Thank for the good info.  Fortunately it's not a problem that I have to deal with but certainly can understand it being a pita.

Message 12 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If you were in our garden club i might lend you one of my hoes Smiley Wink
Message 13 of 26
sto0pyd
Regular Contributor

Yes, indeed. I'm a CC whore like everyone else. I'm always moving on to the next best thing for a few bucks Smiley Happy The only constant loyalty I have is with NFCU, in which I also exploit their rewards program. I rotate between their Flagship, GO Rewards, and now their AMEX depending on what I'm buying. I really don't see how they make a dime off of me. But I do justify my lack of loyalty for the huge percentage of consumers that they exploit far more than the few hundreds they give me... like those who carry balances month after month. 

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In the past I have only opened credit cards based on the card being the highest cash back percentage in a specific category and having no annual fee.

Penfed card 5% for gas

Chase and Discover for the 5% categories

US Bank 5% cell phone

BOA $30.00 each quarter for $75.00 worth of spend

NFCU 3% restaurants

American Express 3% groceries

Citibank for 2% on general spend

Blispay for 2% and six month financing

Capital One 1.5% on general spend

This has required some discipline considering all the credit card approval posts and the must have flavor of the month cards that are touted here on the forum. I have always stuck to the plan but this time is different. I received a pre-approval from Fifth Third Bank for their Trio card which I can not bring myself to throw away even though the card does not improve on any of my cash back percentages nor address any heretofore uncovered category. My dilemma is the no annual fee and a sign-up bonus of $450.00 for $1500.00 spend in the first ninety days. I think I will have to surrender my principles for some of that Fifth Third Bank cash. So to summarize for the credit card sign-up bonus of $450.00 and new checking account bonus $200.00 for a total of $650.00 I believe I shall succumb to Fifth Third’s wiles.

Yes in fact it does. But I am too.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this make myFICO Credit Monitoring a pimp?
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

WHORE!!! THIS POST HAS MADE MY DAY!
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Does this make myFICO Credit Monitoring a pimp?

Well, it's more like the creditors are the pimps. The monitoring services are also whore's for the "pimps". The monitoring services provide the information that the pimps want.

Kinda like they are the "whore's for the political pimps".

Message 18 of 26
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I am not the judge but get those points, miles, or cold hard cash as it comes. The lenders always get theirs no matter what. I hate I missed the BOA BBR boat as well. I get bank account offers every week from BOA and US Bank. I cant move my dorect deposit that much to jump on the cash back offers.

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you whore. You are cheating on American Express :'(
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.