cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does US Bank code Amazon.com as a bookstore?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does US Bank code Amazon.com as a bookstore?

Browsing and reading around, with hundreds of tabs, I saw a post that said amazon coded as bookstore for USBank. Any chance that is true, or was that a while ago, or just a sign of my schizophrenic wishful thinking?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does US Bank code Amazon.com as a bookstore?

@Anonymous wrote:
Browsing and reading around, with hundreds of tabs, I saw a post that said amazon coded as bookstore for USBank. Any chance that is true, or was that a while ago, or just a sign of my schizophrenic wishful thinking?

There was a bookstore category and people were getting 5% at Amazon through it.  They dropped this category.  

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. Thanks! I guess I wasn’t dreaming afterall!
Message 3 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It did used to, but they dropped the bookstore category from the Cash+, probably for this reason

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It could come back, but I wouldn't hold my breath, just be glad they offer utilities lol. The Sallie Mae Rewards card had this nice little Amazon/bookstore setup, but nowadays your only options are one of the Amazon cards or something that earns at office supply stores or somewhere else you can get an Amazon gift card. at this point, my personal go to would be using the chase ink cash to get Amazon gift cards at office Max/Depot.
Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It could come back, but I wouldn't hold my breath, just be glad they offer utilities lol. The Sallie Mae Rewards card had this nice little Amazon/bookstore setup, but nowadays your only options are one of the Amazon cards or something that earns at office supply stores or somewhere else you can get an Amazon gift card. at this point, my personal go to would be using the chase ink cash to get Amazon gift cards at office Max/Depot.

Right, in the several years of Cash + existence, dropped categories have never come back  (I can recall Bill Pay, Home Improvement, Airfare, Charity, Bookstores,Restaurants (5%)).   They are (presumably) dropped because of too much usage (more people are able to max out maybe almost every quarter) and since this usually won't change, no reason to reinstate them.

The good thing for Amazon usage about the Amazon cards is that they are uncapped.  Buying gift cards using BCP, Amex Gold, Ink are capped and can compete with other spend.   However, except for BCP, the limits are fairly high.

Message 6 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazon purchases generally code as "Bookstore" no matter what is purchased, as Amazon started as a bookseller.   And card issuers don't place MCC codes; sellers do.    I used Sallie Mae back in the day for 5% at Amazon, and then I used Cash+ until the category was taken away.

Aside from the Amazon card itself, the only card in my current lineup that might be useful is Marvel MC with 3% Bookstores.   It's not as good of an option, but could be useful if someone has that card and doesn't want any new apps.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.