Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Walmart count as a grocery store for Amex and Dicovery

tag
AwsiDooger
New Contributor

Re: Does Walmart count as a grocery store for Amex and Dicovery

Not sure if this holds true for American Express and Discover. But several years ago I experimented with Chase and discovered that the first few Walmart checkout lanes closest to the grocery section coded as groceries toward the 5%, but the other checkout lanes did not. I experimented on the same day with multiple small orders. It didn't matter what I bought. The lanes near grocery coded grocery while far way lanes did not. Consequently I ended up buying pool supplies, etc. and mixing them in with my grocery purchases, always receiving 5% on the entirety. 

But that's been a few years. Perhaps it doesn't hold up any more. I never buy groceries at Walmart anymore. It's mostly Aldi, supplemented by buy one get ones at Publix and Winn Dixie.

Message 21 of 25
collics
Established Contributor

@AwsiDooger wrote:

Not sure if this holds true for American Express and Discover. But several years ago I experimented with Chase and discovered that the first few Walmart checkout lanes closest to the grocery section coded as groceries toward the 5%, but the other checkout lanes did not. I experimented on the same day with multiple small orders. It didn't matter what I bought. The lanes near grocery coded grocery while far way lanes did not. Consequently I ended up buying pool supplies, etc. and mixing them in with my grocery purchases, always receiving 5% on the entirety. 

But that's been a few years. Perhaps it doesn't hold up any more. I never buy groceries at Walmart anymore. It's mostly Aldi, supplemented by buy one get ones at Publix and Winn Dixie.

Interesting........

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 22 of 25
Vic1

I have the Amex Delta Platinum and I get my 2x miles back at my local neighborhood market Walmart but not at  the SuperCenters. If you have a neighborhood market Walmart definitely use them over the super center. Hope this helps!

Message 23 of 25
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Vic1 

Definitely helps. Ty

Message 24 of 25
Socrates99

A few months ago I started noticing my points not going up like they once did. I looked into it as I hadn't changed a thing with the way I shopped groceries and I purchase them at a Walmart grocery store not a super center. I also order for the curbside pickup using the app which until a few months ago I alway got my +4 points credit but as of the last few months I no longer get the bonus points for grocery shopping. At least not for curbside pickup. They all go through "Walmart AA" regardless of if My purchase comes from the Walmart grocery store. I don't know if I would still get it when I go inside. One interesting thing is when the charge is pending it often says "Walmart grocery" but when the charge is complete the grocery part is gone and it says "Walmart AA" whatever that is. I asked the Walmart about it and they said they had several complaints and it appears that amex is lumping all the charges into the same category regardless of it it comes from the walmart grocery or not. I really miss the extra points and it's made me reconsider the card as my grocery points paid for the card AF alone and if I don't get that anymore..well I'm going to reconsider the card. Now I'm sure walmart is probably to blame as they revamped their app around the same time amex revamped their categories. If anyone knows a work around to get curbside pickup from a walmart grocery store please let me know the trick. I really misse the as our family really benefited quite a bit from it not to mention it covered the AF in the first several months of the year for us anyway. 

R. 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.