Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Conversion to Citi Double Cash Show as New Account on Credit

tag
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

Does a Conversion to Citi Double Cash Show as New Account on Credit

Does anyone know if converting to Citi Double Cash will show as a new account on credit?  As opposed to just a change in card number?  I don't want any new accounts to show up. Can't get through to Citi on phone.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does a Conversion to Citi Double Cash Show as New Account on Credit

@Gonzozap wrote:

Does anyone know if converting to Citi Double Cash will show as a new account on credit?  As opposed to just a change in card number?  I don't want any new accounts to show up. Can't get through to Citi on phone.

Should not show up as a new account.

Of the largest banks, Wells Fargo is the outlier that reports old card closing and new card opening when a customer requests a product change.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gonzozap wrote:

If you're doing a product change, your account will retain the original opening date based on my experience with multiple lenders.

Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Generally, no. But it does occasionally happen.

I PCed AA Platinum to Costco and Prestige to DC. With two accounts and 3 CRAs, I should have 6 mentions of a Citi account, but I have 7.

EQ shows the PC to Costco as a new account in addition to the AA card. Both are still listed as open. As far as opening dates, AA has the application date and Costco the PC date.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 9
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@Gonzozap wrote:

I have converted a two Citi card have never showed up as a new account.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of years ago I was offered a PC by Citi and called and asked your question. One CSR said no and the other said yes.

Message 6 of 9
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

Thx all for the replies.  It is amazing how they send voluminous mail about conversion, but fail to say anything about precisely how the conversion will work.  I think that's important information. Oh well, I don't need the account, so won't take the chance.

Message 7 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Gonzozap wrote:

Thx all for the replies.  It is amazing how they send voluminous mail about conversion, but fail to say anything about precisely how the conversion will work.  I think that's important information. Oh well, I don't need the account, so won't take the chance.

It should depend on what your other credit plans are, as well as how much of an improvement DC would be.

If you plan to get a mortgage or a card from a lender very sensitive to new accounts, and your current card is mediocre but at least has no AF, then maybe wait. After the various benefit nerfs, DC is a pretty mediocre card IMO and I rarely use mine. But I keep it open since I'm logging in to check my Costco card, anyway.

If you have no specific desire or need for new credit, if you have an AA card but no longer fly AA, and would put a lot of spend on a DC...then consider PCing now.

Offhand, I'm not sure if others have had my weird EQ experience. I think it's pretty uncommon.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

A PC from Diamond Preferred to Double Cash (from mailed PC invitation) and another PC from Diamond Preferred to Rewards+ (initiated by me over phone) did not change the way the cards reported for me.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.