cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a credit card recon result in another HP?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Does a credit card recon result in another HP?

I was just checking my credit report and there is a HP on my TU from Chase several days after my credit card application around the time I had called in for a recon. I note that the HP on my EX occured around the time of my initial. Does each recon result in a HP?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Does a credit card recon result in another HP?

@red259 wrote:

I was just checking my credit report and there is a HP on my TU from Chase several days after my credit card application around the time I had called in for a recon. I note that the HP on my EX occured around the time of my initial. Does each recon result in a HP?

It CAN, but it doesn't HAVE TO. It's at the bank's discretion.

They are pulling another bureau in order to give you a better chance of being approved (on the off chance that one bureau might give them a better picture than the one that they initially pulled).

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 5
red259
Super Contributor

Will they tell me before hand they are going to do another HP? I think she may have asked permission to look at my credit report, but I thought that meant the one they already pulled. I would have asked some further questions before agreeing to it otherwise, as pulling the other report was not going to do anything when the denial was based on my lack of open revolvers and I had already told her I didn't have any open at the moment.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 5
Elcid89
Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Will they tell me before hand they are going to do another HP? I think she may have asked permission to look at my credit report, but I thought that meant the one they already pulled. I would have asked some further questions before agreeing to it otherwise, as pulling the other report was not going to do anything when the denial was based on my lack of open revolvers and I had already told her I didn't have any open at the moment.

In an ideal world, they will tell you bluntly that it will result in another HP, but that isn't always the case and it's up to you to either read between the lines or directly ask before giving approval to proceed. You always have the option to direct them to proceed only if it will not result in another hard inquiry, but it's up to you to avail yourself of it.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 5
n777ua
Established Contributor

Thats always one of the first things I ask when doing a recon.  Ideally, they'll tell you, but some banks (BofA) just go ahead and do it.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.