Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody bite on these offers?

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Does anybody bite on these offers?

I have a couple of cards that give me offers akin

to entering a "lottery drawing" for using my card.

I'm a little amused by these and wonder if it

actually makes anyone use that card more??

I have little interest in these offers.

Here is one I received today from USAA

((Win Super Bowl LIV tickets courtesy of VISA))

https://www.fastmailusercontent.com/jmap/proxy/aHR0cDovL2YuZS51c2FhLmNvbS9pLzQyLzIwNzgxOTgzNTkvRU0zODEzOF85NDIwMTlfaGVyby1kLmpwZw/EM38138_942019_hero-d.jpg?u=8f2441be&domain=fastmail.net&access_token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJhMDg2MjJhMDMyNzA1Y2I0YzA2N2E3MjU5ZWU3ZDY4NjIwNzZiYmRjIiwic3ViIjoiNE1qc2I2ZWEwMW9taTYwYlBOb0FzRFNpQ1FKU0ZTQ3lpODRaM08yMmNDWSIsImlhdCI6MTU2NzYzMDgwMH0.hOZahP705XWhymxUdP1LrluG9Cxv77YLg0KXb_FpaNk

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
8 REPLIES 8
parzivalmx
Valued Member

Re: Does anybody bite on these offers?

I've won NFL tickets for using my credit card, it was something like this. I forgot I singed up, then got a text saying I won. 

US Cards

Mexico Cards
Message 2 of 9
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

A lot of my Visa cards over the years have advertised the chance to win tickets to the Super Bowl just for using the card. I have not received this from USAA yet though....

Message 3 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I am skeptical that this would serve any marketing purpose for them (it would not be logical to change your spending patterns to enter what amounts to a lottery), but if it's easy to do and my normal use of the card would qualify me to win, I'd probably take a couple of minutes to sign up just in case.

Maybe they are approaching it as a cheap way to have a "hook" to send a promotion, with the main goal just being to remind you that you have their card.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen this from USAA in the past. Actually just got an email from Chase about the same thing. Kinda makes sense as its sponsored by Visa and not the individual issuer. Last half of August there was same type of contest with grand prize trip to the NFL London game in November.

The terms from Chase just state you need to use tap to pay, no other signup needed. Can't use digital wallet or "wearables". Couple cards excluded - both Disneys, Ritz-Carlton and JP Morgan Reserve. Prize even includes cash to offset taxes - $7,500

With very little effort needed to enter I see no harm in tapping where it's available. Seems like they're trying to push the tech and get more people accustomed to it.

I do have to say that when it comes to these contests, it seems they want you to enter as often as possible, but then you never hear about anyone winning (or if anyone actually did). Kinda like Publishers Clearing House...
Message 5 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Sort of. I did 90-something mail-in entries to IHG's Priceless Surprises a few years ago.

I think I got a few 2k and 1k point "prizes" and the rest were 500 (or whatever the guaranteed minimum was).

~$60 in postage and stationery, and a few hours, for ~$350 of points.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i like playing a contest sometimes for fun. i think usbank has a harley card and you can win a bike out of it, that would be a good one since it's not for a limited time and you can keep playing.

Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Those things should be illegal lol. I could also be President of the US or Get a Chase card over 5/24Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 9
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Incidently, there was a commercial during tonights Packers/Bears game and it clearly showed that USAA is a proud supporter of the NFL and they mentioned this promotion. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.