cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone apply for BOA credit cards anymore?

tag
EmmyWannabeOrman
Contributor

Does anyone apply for BOA credit cards anymore?

Seems like Discover, Chase, and Amex are the better and easier choices to get approved for. Does BOA have stricter standards? Bad customer service? Or are their cards unfavorable? 

Cap One QS 1950, NFCU 7000, NavChek 6500, Cap One secured 750, IFCU 1000, IFCU (overdraft line of credit) 1000, Express 3100, NY&Co 2650, Victoria's Secret 2650, Exxon/Mobil 300, Zales 500, Kay's 900, Walmart 3500, Bloomingdales 1000, Belks 850, Paypal Smartconnect 1300, Chase Freedom 2000,Chase Slate 500. Gap 4000, BP 3000, Amazon store card 3500
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does anyone apply for BOA credit cards anymore?

@EmmyWannabeOrman wrote:

Seems like Discover, Chase, and Amex are the better and easier choices to get approved for. Does BOA have stricter standards? Bad customer service? Or are there cards unfavorable? 

Maybe it's the sign up bonuses and the sp clis with Amex but I added two BOA backed cards last month.  I'm sure others will chime in regarding their cards too.  last year, the BBR card was popula on the boards.  

Message 2 of 33
EmmyWannabeOrman
Contributor

Easier to get approved for BOA?
Cap One QS 1950, NFCU 7000, NavChek 6500, Cap One secured 750, IFCU 1000, IFCU (overdraft line of credit) 1000, Express 3100, NY&Co 2650, Victoria's Secret 2650, Exxon/Mobil 300, Zales 500, Kay's 900, Walmart 3500, Bloomingdales 1000, Belks 850, Paypal Smartconnect 1300, Chase Freedom 2000,Chase Slate 500. Gap 4000, BP 3000, Amazon store card 3500
Message 3 of 33
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 BoA cards, never had an issue with customer service. In my experience their reconsideration process is a close 2nd to Chase. They've been good with 6 month increases but 99.8% of the time it's HP.

One thing I've heard is they will take it upon themselves to reallocate limits for a new card approval. Totally their right, but it's shady when they aren't up front about doing it like other lenders tend to be.
Message 4 of 33
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@EmmyWannabeOrman wrote:
Easier to get approved for BOA?

Easier? Their uw is pretty close to Chase, Discover etc.  Like everything else, your credit profile has to fit within their approval guidelines.

Message 5 of 33
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Isn't the Fidelity Amex actually BOA/FIA? If so, then people sorta still apply for BOA, just in a roundabout way.

And as for the Better Balance Rewards... I'm still planning to get it. i just don't wanna freak out Barclays any more than I already have, since I increased my total limits by $20K recently Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 33
Weights
Regular Contributor

I've never and have no desire to apply for a BOA card due to repeated reports of bad service.  Although I don't have any personal experience with them, friends and family of mine have, and very little good experiences was mentioned to me.  I've heard of random apr hikes, rude reps, etc.  The same thing more or less happened to me when I banked with US Bank as well.  There are too many other banks and credit unions that have better reputations and experiences with for me to do business with such companies.  I'm not about to give a bad apple a chance to ruin my credit via an underhanded tactic, even if legal.  Just as they can be picky about who they approve, consumers should be with whom they choose to do business.  Regardless, if you end up with an account from them, I hope all goes well for you. 

Message 7 of 33
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

@Weights wrote:

I've never and have no desire to apply for a BOA card due to repeated reports of bad service.  Although I don't have any personal experience with them, friends and family of mine have, and very little good experiences was mentioned to me.  I've heard of random apr hikes, rude reps, etc.  The same thing more or less happened to me when I banked with US Bank as well.  There are too many other banks and credit unions that have better reputations and experiences with for me to do business with such companies.  I'm not about to give a bad apple a chance to ruin my credit via an underhanded tactic, even if legal.  Just as they can be picky about who they approve, consumers should be with whom they choose to do business.  Regardless, if you end up with an account from them, I hope all goes well for you. 

+1

The way they treat my father (who's been banking with them since 1982) is disgraceful. Rude. Rude. Rude. No thanks!

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 8 of 33
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@DaylightSlaving wrote:

@Weights wrote:

+1

The way they treat my father (who's been banking with them since 1982) is disgraceful. Rude. Rude. Rude. No thanks!

I had a bad taste in my moth with BoA from their mistreatment of my parents over a decade ago.  That being said, I gave them another chance.   One of my cards is the Merrill+ and it appears to be handled by a different tier of CSRs.  The other is the Fid Amex, so far I havent had to deal with them

Message 9 of 33
Chris679
Established Contributor

I had a CSR tell me that my CLI would be a soft pull then it was not.  I was denied the CLI and had to call the credit analyst twice to get it approved.  I think all CLI are hard pulls for them and the rewards are weak compared to other cards.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.