cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does backdated AMEX show payment history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does backdated AMEX show payment history?

I recently applied for an AMEX Zync, I am an AU on my mothers Blue Cash

Will the Zync report as opened in March (just like blue cash)

Will it report payment history?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Does backdated AMEX show payment history?

@Anonymous wrote:

IF I remember right (big if)... When you're an AU on any AMEX and you get your own, your own account is not backdated to the main account date. However, the AU account date showing on your AU card will count for any cards you obtain with them later for your member since date.  It's not impossible to get a new account backdated to an AU account date held by the primary (say she got her account years before adding you as an AU), just very close to it.  With it being the same year, it shouldn't matter that much really. If she added you as an AU at the time of her application, you have the same member since date as she does, but not the payment history. 

More simply put maybe: the day you were added as an AU  IS your member since date. So yes, your Zync should show on your CR's as opened in March (the time you were added as an AU and became a member of AMEX).

Your own account (Zync) will not report the payment history of the AU account as they aren't linked, even though your AU BC should show it (it's linked to the payment history of the primary account holder).  At least that's what I've been reading of others experience. As always, you could be the exception to the rule.

The way I worked that out. I had an AMEX Green 20 years ago, closed it, it still shows history. I have a Zync from this year, it shows opened in 1989 (I demanded it backdated), appearing as old as my green would be (on all my CRs). The old green trade line shows some payment history prior to the Zync's activation. THAT payment history in no way effects the payment history of the Zync even though they were (are?) held by the same primary account holder (me) as they are totally separate trade lines as far as payments are concerned.  Hope that helped Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RyVision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

IF I remember right (big if)... When you're an AU on any AMEX and you get your own, your own account is not backdated to the main account date. However, the AU account date showing on your AU card will count for any cards you obtain with them later for your member since date.  It's not impossible to get a new account backdated to an AU account date held by the primary (say she got her account years before adding you as an AU), just very close to it.  With it being the same year, it shouldn't matter that much really. If she added you as an AU at the time of her application, you have the same member since date as she does, but not the payment history. 

More simply put maybe: the day you were added as an AU  IS your member since date. So yes, your Zync should show on your CR's as opened in March (the time you were added as an AU and became a member of AMEX).

Your own account (Zync) will not report the payment history of the AU account as they aren't linked, even though your AU BC should show it (it's linked to the payment history of the primary account holder).  At least that's what I've been reading of others experience. As always, you could be the exception to the rule.

The way I worked that out. I had an AMEX Green 20 years ago, closed it, it still shows history. I have a Zync from this year, it shows opened in 1989 (I demanded it backdated), appearing as old as my green would be (on all my CRs). The old green trade line shows some payment history prior to the Zync's activation. THAT payment history in no way effects the payment history of the Zync even though they were (are?) held by the same primary account holder (me) as they are totally separate trade lines as far as payments are concerned.  Hope that helped Smiley Happy

It was a HUGE help.  The reason I wondered this is because a few of the cards I've applied for recently continue to tell me that I need at least 6 months of MY OWN history to qualify.

I was the only person that used my AU accounts, because my mother opened the account for my use only.

I wish there was a way to get AMEX or other card issuers to see AU's as normal card users (and payers)

Message 3 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It was a HUGE help.  The reason I wondered this is because a few of the cards I've applied for recently continue to tell me that I need at least 6 months of MY OWN history to qualify.

I was the only person that used my AU accounts, because my mother opened the account for my use only.

I wish there was a way to get AMEX or other card issuers to see AU's as normal card users (and payers)

The problem is that they aren't normal card users and payers.  Not to say that you can't be an AU who actually pays your bill, but the bottom line is that you mainly don't have to.  And you can cancel the AU account whenever you want and get any negative history removed from your report.  The fact that the system works as well as it does in favor of AUs is actually pretty nice. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Ah, then you don't want to close the Blue Cash for a while as it counts as an open tradeline towards AAoA on your reports. Sort of like doubling your AMEX age when you have 2 active cards (even though it would continue to show for 10 years, with it open, it has payment history as well, even if it's a 0 balance).  Taking good care of those 2 accounts will help you a lot down the road. 

Glad I was able to help Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.