Anonymous
Not applicable

Does discover spook easily?

Heres the short background
Discover it opened nov 7th
Limit of 500.
Credit score when opened 630
Credit score now 647

Im hoping to put my car insurance on my discover to maximize cash back. Car insurance is 1697. If i put 450 dollars at a time on discover and pay ot off when it posts and do this until the nearly 1700 is paid off, will i spook discover? I dont want them to close my account. Thanks everybody!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Does discover spook easily?

$450 out of a $500 limit is pretty high. I wouldn’t let that balance REPORT. But if you can pay it down before it reports, that would be fine.

Either way, I don’t THINK Disco would panic about it as long as you pay consistently.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover seems to like swipers, especially if you always pay on time.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover tends to like lots of usage and paid in full, as long as you pay it when it posts (or push the payments from your checking), I don’t see it being a big problem as long as they don’t cut a statement with that utilization. Even then, $500 is a very low limit and they likely have some degree of tolerance for people who max out these lines as long as the payment comes swiftly. 

Message 4 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Heres the short background
Discover it opened nov 7th
Limit of 500.
Credit score when opened 630
Credit score now 647

Im hoping to put my car insurance on my discover to maximize cash back. Car insurance is 1697. If i put 450 dollars at a time on discover and pay ot off when it posts and do this until the nearly 1700 is paid off, will i spook discover? I dont want them to close my account. Thanks everybody!

As long as you pay it off, they will love you.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great guys. Thanks so much. I guess i was just worried that since i barely managed an approval with them. I didnt want a red flag on my account.
Message 6 of 17
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Also, have you set up Autopay, just to cover your bootie?
My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not. However, i check my app every morning. Obsessively. Lol
Message 8 of 17
GApeachy
Super Contributor

I do too but...what if? We are working so hard to be stellar it would suck if something happened and BAM! (all it takes is 1 "what if" and you start over with the clocking ticking to remove that late payment. I'm a mommy (sorry)
My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also a mommy. Ill look into the auto pay. Thank u so much.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.